• Global Awareness: My first plan to increase my Global Awareness starts with applying for and hopefully participating in the State Department Critical Language Scholarship’s Persian Program, wherein I would spend the summer in Dushanbe, Tajikistan studying the Persian language in an academic setting while attending cultural functions throughout the country during my time outside of the classroom. As of now my application is about 90 percent complete, and while CLS has an overall acceptance rate of only about 10 percent, I am holding out hope that I will get accepted. Aside from this specific program, I have other aspirations for study abroad, particularly the Antarctic research trip that occurs over winter breaks, or one of the study abroad programs focusing on Southern Africa. Aside from foreign travel, I will focus on Global Awareness through continuing to a pursue a minor in Persian, as I will take classes in Persian language, literature, and mythology.
  • Original Inquiry: For Original Inquiry, I of course plan on participating in research during my time at Ohio State. As a physics major intent on attending Graduate school following my four years at Ohio State, research experience is essential for applications. But beyond that, research just sounds so cool. I am in physics because the idea of doing original research and trying to discover what we as a species do not know sounds like one of the most positive ways someone can devote their career and life. I do not know what branch of physics I would like to study, or if I would like to do experimental or theoretical physics, so I need to start getting lab experience as soon as possible to figure that out. That means that as far as specific plans I may have, I will take any research job I can get; as a student with no laboratory experience of any kind, I cannot exactly be picky. Additionally, for creative production or performance, I plan to continue performing stand-up comedy. I have since senior year of high school, and since coming to Ohio State I have joined the Stand-Up Club and performed on several of their showcase shows.
  • Academic Enrichment: As far as rigorous curricular experiences within the classroom, I plan on continuing to take honors courses such as the honor physics I am currently enrolled in, as well as non-honors yet still challenging courses such as Persian 3101: Advanced Reading and Composition. For outside of the classroom, I will continue to attend events such as the annual Smith Lecture put on by the physics department. This year we were treated to a lecture by Dr. Rainer Weiss, the 2017 Nobel Laureate in physics. I plan to also attend more of the weekly colloquiums put on by the physics department, as even though they are not given by Nobel Laureates, they are no less fascinating previews of the higher levels of my field.
  • Leadership Development: I hope to continue developing leadership skills through many different roles at Ohio State. First, I have applied to be an RA next year, where I will be able to work on residential and community leadership. Additionally, I am hoping to run for a position on the Executive Board of the Stand-Up Club, as I am extremely involved in it and there are several graduating seniors who hold positions that will be available once they leave. Beyond that, I hope to continue developing everyday leadership skills, such as setting positive examples for your peers though service and compassion.
  • Service Engagement: Honors & Scholars students commit to service to the community. A service opportunity I am very excited to get involved in is this group on campus that tutors refugee students for their standardized tests. Unfortunately, interested tutors must attend information meetings at the start of the year to get involved, and as I missed those, I have to wait until next year. However, I am still very excited for when I can get involved, as refugees have been through the worst of the world and thus have inherent disadvantages, it is our duty as a society to assist them with whatever we can, and tutoring seems a fantastic place to start. Beyond that, I hope to commit to service by joining the Peace Corps following college to teach science in Africa. I have benefited from good public education in my live all the way from Kindergarten until Ohio State, so I feel I owe it to those who do not have that same benefit to try and help them.