Multicultural Center Training 2-16-20 (Prof. Development)

I attended a Multicultural Center Training on February 16th, 2020 at 8pm in the Ohio Union. The program was led by Ashley Zong. She covered the widely-discussed yet controversial topics of identity, implicit bias, and diversity. Besides the insomnia cookies so graciously provided by Steven Blalock, the event was amazing. From the video that demonstrated the internal conflicts children go through everyday when they don’t understand why they may not feel comfortable in their own skin to the in-depth conversations about how implicit bias’ can be resolved, everyone was in tune with their morals and values. A few points in particular stood out to me. First, I did not realize that I could relate to my peers that feel out of place during family events because they do not physically represent their heritage as they may not look like their grandparents. Next, it was brought to my attention that when telling stories, people always assume every character is white unless stated otherwise. This seemed crazy to me because it is so true. It is these little displays of minoritizing that force me to rethink my actions and thoughts and how my past interactions are influencing my future relations with diverse populations. The last thing that stood out to me was the quote attached. I am extremely to have attend a session like this and look forward to attending more events sponsored by the Multicultural Center.