Education Abroad: Brazil

Program Overview

During the Spring Semester of 2017 I traveled to Brazil to study abroad, with 16 other students from Ohio State, at the Luiz de Queiroz College of Agriculture, at the University of São Paulo. While there we took classes regarding economics, history, culture, and agriculture. In addition to that, we traveled to different agribusinesses throughout southern Brazil. To learn more about our itinerary and program of study, click here. The program is offered to students who are members of Alpha Zeta Partners (AZP). AZP is an agricultural honorary that was founded at Ohio State in 1897. To learn more about how to participate in this outstanding opportunity, click here.

Pre-Departure Reflection

My good friend Brittany Webb, was the first person who brought AZP to my attention. After talking to her and a few other students I knew that AZP was something I had to be involved in. The opportunity to develop leadership skills and study abroad was exhilarating to me. The weeks leading up to the trip were very exciting for me. I did not care that I was headed to a foreign place, with people I barely knew, I was just ready for the adventure. Unfortunately, I ended up with strep throat the day before we left, but despite the fact that I showed up to the airport miserable and sickly, all I remember from that day was how helpful my peers, and soon to become friends were. And from that moment I knew I was in for an amazing six weeks abroad.

While Abroad Reflection

Something else that I learned from my trip abroad is the importance of capitalizing on every individuals abilities and strengths in a group dynamic. Sometimes when you throw a group of diverse, capable and smart leaders into a room with an objective, it can easily turn into a little bit of a power struggle where one person wants to be clearly in charge and the rest follow orders. On my trip I really learned about the importance of navigating this. In group settings, it is important to establish a framework for a team to work on that utilizes everyone to the best of their ability and plays off their strengths. This is especially important with a team of consultants in one company. In order to best serve a client that might not mean working one on one. It may be best to tap into others knowledge or work as a unit. Another scenario could be me sitting down with a group of executives trying solve a problem. When you have a group of people who are all used to being in charge and calling the shots it’s important to be able to navigate that dynamic and utilize everyone’s expertise to solve the problem in a manner that ultimately everyone agrees on.

After Return Reflection

While abroad I learned the importance of being flexible, adjustable, and relaxed. So often we, in the United States, have a very schedule lifestyle, and we get busy just being busy. One of the biggest lessons I learned abroad is to be more relaxed and take time for family and friends and myself and enjoy spending time with the people in my life. Relationships are very important. Just this year my host parents celebrated their fifteenth anniversary. Luciana, my host mom, attributes their years of happiness to the love, laughter, companionship, and support for each other’s dreams. I think this is just a great example of the culture and mindset held by Brazilians and is something I try to embrace.