Olentangy Trail Adventures

For the first semester of my freshman year, I have decided to explore the parks and nature aspects of Columbus. It seemed most fitting to me because, as a semi-serious runner and cyclist, parks and trails are something that i could potentially use every day. I am looking forward to finding beautiful places to get my runs in, like the Scioto mile, a gorgeous city trail that I cant wait to run, bike, or walk on. Hopefully this assignment gives me a good reason to go out of my comfort zone and explore new places that get me off off campus and into the real world. Columbus is a huge place with countless opportunities, and getting off campus to explore and exercise is just the first step in a long journey to being able to call this city my home. In the end I want to be able to use the resources I have (like the bus system) to confidently navigate the best resource at Ohio State; that is, Columbus.

The first experience that I had off of this list was an exploration of the Olentangy trail. Located just steps outside of my dorm, this trail is an extremely important resource to me. Whether biking, running, or simply admiring the scenery, the Olentangy Trail is a great place to be. Just a few of its best features include diverse foliage and wildlife, extremely well kept, even paths (perfect for cycling), a huge range, and ideal location. My only concern is if they plow or ice it or not in the winter once the snow and ice comes along with the freezing temps. Despite being in the middle of a very metropolitan landscape, this trail manages to make you feel as if you are far away from campus, the city, and civilization in general.

All in all, I absolutely adore this trail and all that it offers. From the river view to the fall leaves, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to a friend or bring a running buddy to enjoy the sights with me.