This is me and my best friend, Adam, graduating(with honors :)) together in May 2018. Now, we both go to OSU and will hopefully be graduating together again. <3
I got to experience another scholars program by attending Mount Gala with my friends John, Kristen, and Adam. It’s really cool to see another of the many different programs offered at OSU.
Hi, my name’s Shana and I’m majoring in Zoology. I’m from Troy, Ohio, although I grew up in Perrysburg, Ohio. I haven’t explored much of the U.S. outside of Ohio, but I have travelled to France, Canada, and England(twice). I really enjoy traveling and hope to do more some day, maybe with the help of OSU.
One of the best things about Scholars is the people, and these are two of my favorite people(who also happen to be my roommates). The first picture is of me and my friend, Madison, at an OSU men’s soccer game from the very beginning of the year. This little outing really solidified our friendship and showed me how Scholars can make such a huge school a lot smaller and more welcoming. The second picture is me and my friend, Ashley, at the pancake tailgate party where pancakes were literally flying. Scholars really helped me feel comfortable here and now I know I have made lifelong friends.
Semester in Review
This semester has truly showed me new challenges but also came with many rewards. College really makes you work hard and doesn’t let you get lazy or let up on any of your work. I’ve learned that everyday, you can work on something because there is always work to be done. And all of this was only possible because I have made incredible friends here, and am already loving the college experience. This semester was difficult, but worth it.
- Global Awareness: Students cultivate and develop their appreciation for diversity and each individual’s unique differences. For example, consider course work, study abroad, involvement in cultural organizations or activities, etc.
- Original Inquiry: Honors & Scholars students understand the research process by engaging in experiences ranging from in-class scholarly endeavors to creative inquiry projects to independent experiences with top researchers across campus and in the global community. For example, consider research, creative productions or performances, advanced course work, etc.
- Academic Enrichment: Honors & Scholars students pursue academic excellence through rigorous curricular experiences beyond the university norm both in and out of the classroom.
- Leadership Development: Honors & Scholars students develop leadership skills that can be demonstrated in the classroom, in the community, in their co-curricular activities, and in their future roles in society.
- Service Engagement: Honors & Scholars students commit to service to the community.
I’ve been most involved with Academic Enrichment and Global Awareness so far. Obviously I’ve been going to school and challenging myself as much as possible for years and have only continued after coming to Ohio State. I have also traveled abroad many times, even as a student ambassador. So, I really hope to continue travelling to broaden my horizons and learn more about the world.
In order to actualize these G.O.A.L.S., I will…
- Develop a deeper appreciation for the diversity of people, ideas and opinions
- Contribute to the creation and development of knowledge
- Pursue academic excellence with integrity and recognize learning as a life-long endeavor
- Identify strengths to become an effective and ethical leader
- Utilize personal talents to improve the human condition
Bio Sci Resume-1axfp93
Now majoring in Zoology, I’m considering double-majoring with Psychology. Because I am interested in how people and animals work, and how they may compare, I think these majors will help me reach a better understanding of both. This also opens up opportunities for potential careers, as I haven’t made my mind up.