Board of Activities for Smith-Steeb

During my freshman year (autumn 2014-spring 2015) I was a Director of Academics in learning for the Board of Activities for Smith-Steeb (BASS). This picture happens to highlight my favorite event I put together with my Professor of Near Eastern Languages and Culture (which mainly studied Indian culture). I decided to work with BASS to create an event highlighting different aspects of Indian culture.

Residents were able to come and watch Bollywood movies together while my professor explained how the movies exemplified Indian culture. Afterwards we all had a wonderful lunch full of different kinds of samosas (one of my favorite Indian treats). The event culminated in what you see in the picture. This type of event is called Holi and is held around spring of every year. It is a festival of color where communities come together out in the streets and through different colored powder at one another. It was a great way to bring the residents of my residence hall together and we had a blast.

This event helped me learn how beneficial active and cooperative learning can be. Often times interactive learning fosters community amongst individuals, while making content learned more difficult to forget and easier to process. I hope to continue creating opportunities like these for myself and others throughout college and as I enter the workforce.