‘Women in Medicine’ Mentorship Program

Yesterday, I went to the kickoff event for the formal mentorship program hosted by ‘Women in Medicine’ at Ohio State College of Medicine. I went to the event overdressed excited to meet my mentor! All of the undergraduate Pre-Med students that sign up for this program get paired with a mentor that is either an M1 or M2 at the College of Medicine. My mentor’s name is Celia and she is an M2. I am looking forward to getting to know her better!

The event started off with a breakfast catered by Panera followed by a presentation from the director of the program and a keynote address from a female rheumatoligist that performed her residency at Ohio State. Her speech addressed the common misconceptions the average person makes about women in medicine. Women are constantly confronted with condescending questions such as ‘When will you start a family? How will you start a family? Who will raise your kids?’ She comforted us by reassuring that the answers to these questions can be difficult, but we don’t have to be alone during the decision-making process. She challenged us to utilize this mentorship opportunity to the best of our ability and to deter away from the competitive stigma that surrounds women professionals.

I am really excited to commence formal mentorship with my mentor at the college of medicine. I know that it will be incredibly valuable to have someone guide me through Pre-Med courses, the MCAT, the application processes, and other challenges as a Pre-Med student.