Patterns are now available on the Extension Office website. Click here to access patterns.
Please click the link below to view important 2020 Summer 4-H Horse Program Updates
Please click the link below to make online entries for the 2020 Summer 4-H Horse Fun Shows
Horse Quality Assurance is May 18 at 6:00 PM. Go to https://osu.zoom.us/j/98210249300 or call 312-626-6799 Meeting ID: 982 1024 9300 to attend the session!
The Equine Education Teams are getting organized and starting practice. The first meeting will be Tuesday, February 17, 2014, at 630pm at Horizon Equine Veterinary Services, 11001 Ashland Road, Wooster 44691. Subsequent meetings will be held at the Fairgrounds, but the building was not available on this date.
This is a great way for any 4H member to meet new friends and learn more about horses. Anyone considering a career in an equine related field should consider this a good addition to your resume’. The teams are open to any 4H member and they do not have to have an equine 4H project, but some knowledge of horses would be helpful. There is a Jr. and Sr. Team. Junior members are strongly encouraged to get started! Our first competition is Horse Bowl on April 11. This is a statewide competition held in Columbus.
Anyone needing more information please contact Janelle Geiger at 330.234.3386 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Just a Reminder for ALL HORSE ADVISORS to please take the time to look at all tack that your 4-hers are planning on using at fair.
Things to keep in mind:
- Make sure it is safe (In good condition) & clean.
- Horses over 5 yrs of age cannot be shown in a O ring or D ring snaffle and shown with 2 hands in western pleasure & horsemanship classes.
- They must be in a shank bit (straight sides) and only shown with 1 hand in western pleasure & horsemanship classes.
- If showing a horse over 5 yrs old and using 2 hands with a shank bit , they can be disqualified from a class.
- Split reins are required for western pleasure and contest reins for contest are recommended for safety reasons.
- If wearing spurs, please make sure they are correct for the discipline (English or Western).This applies to boots also.
- Leather halters & leads for showmanship for western are recommended
Barb Prince from the Ohio State Fair sent the following message regarding State Fair passes for youth that are participating in the State Fair Jr. Horse Show.
Your county is one that we were unable to mail back the single day ticket for your Junior 4-H Horse exhibitor. Any youth arriving on Monday or Tues. should not need a ticket…beginning Wednesday(July23) the following procedure is to be followed…The youth arrive at Gate 10…a copy of the county list as submitted by the county educator will be used to check for the youth’s name…NO TICKET WILL BE REQUIRED if the youth’s name is on the educator’s list…If you would happen to have an issue please call Barb Prince 614-644-4052.
Gate 10 is located on 17th Avenue near the Gilligan Livestock Complex. To access Gate 10, take I-71 South to Hudson Street. Exit at Hudson and turn right (west) onto Hudson. Then turn left (south) onto Summit Street. Take Summit Street to 17th Ave and turn left (east) on 17th Avenue.
Congratulations to the following Wayne County 4-H horse youth for qualifying to compete in the 2014 Ohio State Fair Junior Horse Show. Best of luck to all of you – we know you will represent Wayne County well.
Wayne County 4-H and FFA Horse Youth wishing to participate in reining classes during the 2014 Wayne County Junior Fair must pre-qualify by earning a qualifying score in the Wayne County PAS Show or through participation in the Wayne County 4-H Reining Clinic to be held on Sunday July 20th at 1 pm. The clinic will be held in the horse arena at the Wayne County Fairgrounds and will be taught by Sherry Napier.
There are several important Horse forms due on June 1st. The forms are all included in the 2014 Wayne County 4-H Horse Packet, which is available online. The forms due June 1st are the:
- Horse ID Forms (both the sketch and the new form with a color 4×6 photo of the left-side view and a 4×6 color photo of the front view of the horse)
- Permission to Participate in 4-H Horse Activities Disclosure and Release of Claims Form
- PAS Qualifying Show Entry Form
- Horse Lease Agreements
- Page 35 of publication 191R – Horses, Safety, and You (for first year members)
Since June 1st is a Sunday, forms will be accepted until 4:30 p.m. on Monday June 2nd.