1. What is the first milk a cow produces called? Colostrum
2. What condition is the result of a deficiency of vitamin E and selenium? White Muscle Disease
3. Under which category on the PDCA Dairy Cow Unified Scorecard is ‘rump’ located? Frame
4. Name two symptoms of laminitis (founder). Swelling, smelling, or lameness
5. Why aren’t you in dairy quiz bowl? I don’t know!
Quiz bowl isn’t just memorizing questions and answers to recite – it’s learning more about the topics that interest you most, and gaining practical knowledge to use when working with cattle and around the farm. Quiz bowl topics cover nutrition, reproduction, genetics, management, diseases, and welfare, and you’re guaranteed to learn something new at each practice.
While competing at the state contest is the end goal, the result is so much more than a medal. You’ll learn skills and take away knowledge that you can use when showing your animals at the fair or when you’re at home in the barn. Quiz bowl helps build knowledge bases that can be used in biology courses, science classes, and veterinary fields.
Three past Wayne county quiz bowl teams have gone on to win at the NAILE Dairy Quiz Bowl contest, and many others have been winners at the state level in both junior and senior contests. Wayne county has a reputation for excellence in dairy quiz bowl, and we hope that you’ll be a part of building that reputation even more.
Our practices are held every Sunday at 1:30 p.m., in the Ohio Holstein office on Heyl Road in Wooster, and the state contest will be held on June 17, 2014 in Columbus. Come ready to learn, and leave with knowledge you can use every day.
Contact Lisa Gress with questions, for more information, or to let her know if you’re planning to attend! We hope to see you next Sunday.