Click the link below to see what the initial team design concepts looked like:
Madison’s Design (First Sketch):
The initial design concept draw by Madison had a main goal of reducing the amount of materials used. The main component contributing to this design was the use of the cross shaped base for the AEV. The cross shape allows for inherent balance in the design as well as specific locations for the motors. Another main addition to the concept design included putting the motors on top of the base as opposed to the bottom for additional balance.
Tess’ Design (Second Sketch):
The AEV concept drawn by Tessa used the larger T-shaped base and no “wings”. The designs goal was to create an AEV that used less material while still maintaining enough space to have all parts evenly balanced. The two propellers, motors, and battery sat on the underside of the base. This allowed for more balance as the lower the center of mass is, the more stable the AEV will be on the track. Creating the most stable AEV will allow for the safest possible design and will ensure passengers are transported unharmed.
Keith’s Design (Third Sketch):
The AEV prototype designed by Keith was based on two principles: minimizing weight by using smaller structural materials, and separating the two motors as much as possible. By creating a wider base with the 1×3 wings, the design was meant to increase lateral roll stability by creating a larger moment of inertia. Using the smaller 2×6 base piece would reduce the overall mass of the AEV, decreasing power use.
Norbert’s Design (Last Sketch):
I had chosen a sleek design that cuts off some weight from the original AEV. I also moved the wings to the bottom because I believe that the AEV would have a more aerodynamic design. The old design is large and built like a block. I used the T shaped base so that weight was cut and it is more slim. The wings (trapezoids) are closer to the battery to have less wind drag when traveling in the air. Also, the engines for the fans are located on the base instead of on the wings unlike the old design.
Click below to view Team F’s initial AEV design concept #1:
The base of the initial team concept design was to limit the total mass and amount of materials used. Team F chose the cross base to maintain balance within the design. Also, the battery was placed on the bottom(to lower the center of mass) parallel to the Arduino, which was placed on the top. The motors are located on the “wings” of the cross section, another component to ensure balance.
Below is Team F’s final AEV design.
Team F’s final design uses a modification of Keith’s AEV design. While it uses the same base, the small rectangle, it angles the small rectangular “wings” from parallel with the base to a 45 degree angle with the base. The design is compact to reduce energy usage and is near perfectly balanced. The team did have to overlay one screw hole with the battery case and the Ardrino however this was easily accomplished using one of the longer screw and two bolts. The team also used washers to create a small space between the base and the Ardrino to avoid crushing the pins on the underside of the Ardrino. One final adjustment was to add a small screw with washers to create a sort of bar on the battery case to keep the battery from falling out while the vehicle was on the track.