Washington DC Immersion Project – September 21-24, 2023
Applications can be found at:
The Urban Immersion Project is a 4-H initiative that combines cross-cultural learning, teamwork, and service-learning in the urban environment of Washington, DC.
Teens ages 15-18 are eligible for this 4-day service-learning experience that will build skills and abilities to prepare youth for success in a diverse workplace as well as build a cultural understanding of those who are different. This experience will not be about shopping or sightseeing, although we will visit some monuments and historic sites. The cost of the experience is $180. Limited scholarship funds are also available. The 4-H Educator will contact all teen applicants to complete an additional phone interview before selection.
- Diversity and the Urban Experience
- Cooking in Food Groups
- Service Projects
- Ethnic Food Night
- City Scavenger Hunt
- Exploring Issues of Homelessness
- DC Monument Night Tour
- Latin American Youth Center
Who: Teens ages 15-18 (by the date of the trip)
Where: Washington, DC
When: Thursday (6 am), September 21st – Sunday, September 24th, 2023
Application Deadline: Monday, August 7th, 2023
2023 4-H Cultural Immersion Project – Puerto Rico ( for Youth)
November 21-29, 2023
The 2023 4-H Cultural Immersion Project – Puerto Rico applications for youth ages 15-18 are open. The experience is from November 21 – November 29, 2023.
After receiving the application, follow-up interviews will be scheduled to select participants. Final selections will be posted in mid-August. 4-H youth ages 15-18 (as of date of trip) are encouraged to apply. Teens must still be in high school as of the date of the trip to participate.
The cost is $1,400. (This includes airfare, ground transportation, most meals, lodging, and program fees)
Deadline to Apply: July 14, 2023
Teens will experience both the vibrant Old San Juan urban area as well as life in the remote mountain town of Castañer. The group be working with Puerto Rican 4-H members in joint service projects as well as leading a team building workshop for students at University Gardens High School in San Juan. Outdoor recreation as well as daily cultural activities will challenge them to expand their worldview and examine their bias and stereotypes.
Call or email for questions. email@example.com or 513.695.1311
CIP Application Link:
Youth in grades 5-7 are invited to join us at Canter’s Cave 4-H Camp June 19th-21st for STEM Camp 2023!
4-H STEM Camp is an overnight camping opportunity for youth interested in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. We are excited to be able to offer STEM Camp at a reduced rate thanks to a 4-H Foundation Grant, lowering the cost of camp for youth in Appalachian Ohio.
Register by May 15th at go.osu.edu/4HSTEMCamp
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (740) 286-5044
Calling All Ohio 4-H’ers!
The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) invites Ohio 4-H members to explore the state’s rich natural wonders through hands-on activities that fulfill the requirements of select project books.
4-H members will disperse throughout Alum Creek State Park to participate in workshops led by expert ODNR staff and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers volunteers.
HEART OF THE GREAT OUTDOORS: 4-H PROJECT DAY
Hosted by ODNR
ALUM CREEK STATE PARK
Saturday, June 17, 2023
10 am to 4 pm
Flyer with more details: 4-H Project Day
Geology: Can You Dig It?
Why Trees Matter
Outdoor Adventurer: Beginning Fishing
Explore the Outdoors
Get Started in Art
RSVP by scanning the QR code or by navigating to
If you have any questions, please contact Jordan Conner at email@example.com.
Warmer weather is a good indicator that it is time to start preserving food. Beginning in April, Ohio State University Extension’s Food Preservation Team is hosting 5 FREE webinars on what you need to know about food preservation! These five (5) webinars will take place from 12:00pm-12:30pm every other Tuesday beginning April 11, 2023, and ending on June 6, 2023. Topics covered include the Top 5 Considerations for Preserving Food, Canning: Water Bath, Canning: Pressure, Freezing, Drying and Freeze Drying. There is no cost for participants to attend. Registration is required in order to attend. Participants interested in attending can register at go.osu.edu/2023foodpreservationwebinarseries
What are you doing April 22? Get yourself to Columbus for the first-ever Buckeye Young Shepherds’ Expo! Exciting, hands-on sessions around a variety of sheep and lamb topics. Complete your Quality Assurance requirements, take a look at a real lamb carcass and the cuts of meat, work on your ear tagging/tail docking/injection skills, and learn about careers in the livestock industry. Plus, visit with old friends and make new ones! The cost is $15 for kids and adults, which includes lunch. Youth participants receive a FREE t-shirt.
Register by April 8 at http://ohiosheep.org/lead-buckeyeyoungshepherdsexpo.html Registration will be capped at 200 participants, so register early!
Flier: 2023 Buckeye Young Shepherds’ Expo
Applications are available at go.osu.edu/4HEYAapp and are due by May 15, 2023.
OVERVIEW: The Ohio 4-H Event Youth Assistants (4HEYA) are a statewide group of 4-H teens that assist with Ohio State Fair events. In this process, members have an opportunity to enhance their leadership skills and be involved in the State 4-H program. They develop knowledge, skills, attitudes, and aspirations needed for future success. 4HEYAs work in partnership with the Ohio 4-H Teen Leadership Council, but the experiences as a whole are different.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?: 4-H members who are 13-18 years old as of January 1, 2023 and have previously completed at least one year of 4-H
- Term: June 1 -August 31(Applicants are still eligible to apply to be a member of TLC for the next term. Find more information about TLC here.)
- Working Events: Members are required to work at least 3 events at the Ohio State Fair. They will have the opportunity to sign up for their particular events in June.
- Number of Meetings/Events: In addition to working events, members are required to attend one of the training options (either July 11 or 17, 2023), both are held at the Ohio State Fairgrounds.
- Please note, individuals MUST attend one of the training options. This is not negotiable. If you know you are unable to attend a training option before applying, it is best to wait another year before applying to serve in this capacity.
LOCATION: All meetings and events are held at the Ohio State Fairgrounds in Columbus, Ohio. There are some Ohio State Fair events that are “off-site,” but members will be notified of the location prior to signing up for an event.
APPLICATION: Interested Ohio 4-H members are asked to submit by May 15:
- completed application (go.osu.edu/4HEYAapp),
- program fee ($25 submitted at go.osu.edu/4HEYA25 for new applicants, $15 submitted at go.osu.edu/4HEYA15 for returning applicants),
- two references (one must be from a non-related Extension professional and one can be from non-related 4-H club advisor, coach, teacher, etc.)
- DEADLINE: May 15 (no late applications will be accepted!)
YOUTH SELECTED RECEIVE:
- 4HEYA Polo
- 4HEYA Nametag
- State Fair admission and parking ticket(s) for the day(s) events are worked.
- State Fair meal ticket(s) for the day(s) events are worked.
- Optional state fair housing in the Rhodes Center Dormitory.
- NOTE: This is not required, but is an option for youth to stay overnight, if they desire to do so due to event work schedules.While youth are not chaperoned after the event(s) worked, there are adults present in the dormitory on the fairgrounds who monitor curfew and security of the dormitory. Housing is in a gender-specific shared living space, with several bunk beds in one room. 4-H representatives will be housed with other youth participants (4-H members and non-members) of the Ohio State Fair.
- Experience of working events at the Ohio State Fair.
- An opportunity to enhance leadership skills and be involved in the state 4-H program.
The Ohio 4-H CARTEENS program is hosting a virtual SPIN club for all those interested in learning about CARTEENS clubs and safety education for drivers and passengers in the state of Ohio. The virtual sessions will be held once a month at 5:30PM. There is no cost to members, just join the zoom link and be ready to learn about hands on activities to implement in your county. Please see the attached flyer for dates and topics. Members attending at least 6 sessions will be awarded a goody bag of supplies. For more information please call our office 740.376.7431.
The Ohio 4-H Foundation is collaborating with the @Columbus Blue Jackets to raise money for Ohio 4-H! Click the link below to purchase tickets for the Blue Jackets’ game on March 3 vs. the Seattle Kraken. Ohio 4-H will have a block of seats in the upper bowl (section 205) and a portion of each ticket sale will come back to the 4-H program to support positive youth development. More details can be found at www.bluejackets.com/4-H.
- What: A fun, family night for 4-H at the Columbus Blue Jackets (CBJ vs Seattle Kraken). A portion of tickets sold will go to the Ohio 4-H program ($10 for upper bowl tickets and $20 for lower bowl tickets will come back to 4-H). 4-H will be recognized briefly at the game.
- Who: This event will be marketed to all Ohio 4-H families (all 4-H professionals, donors/supporters, alumni, volunteers, members and families).
- When: Friday, March 3rd at 7pm.
- Where: Nationwide Arena in Columbus, OH.
- How: www.bluejackets.com/4-H
- Lower bowl ‐ $69 per ticket.
- Upper bowl ‐ $41 per ticket.
- Why/Purpose of the Event:
- Raise money for Ohio 4-H. A portion of the ticket sales (purchased on the unique ticket website created for 4-H) will be given to the 4-H.
- Provide a unique event for 4-H alumni and current 4-H families.
- Promote the Ohio 4-H program to a new audience. There will be a brief slide and message in between periods during the game that will recognize 4-H.
The process for selecting individuals to represent Ohio 4-H Youth Development on the state junior fair board has changed for 2023. All applications will be submitted to the Ohio State Fair JFB Coordinator using this link: ohiostatefair.com/jfb and submit applications through the portal. The deadline is March 1. Once the application deadline has passed, 4-H will be given the opportunity to review the applications that are submitted.
Learn more about the responsibilities of serving on the Ohio State JFB by contacting our 2022 representatives – Melina Matics (4-H) or Josie Burke (FFA)
Information: jfb recruitment