Athens County is hosting the 2024 Home Garden Vegetable Trials. The trials are open to any home gardener in the state of Ohio. This means you and all of your friends. This is the sixth year of the trials and we have some exciting news. We have added a cut flower trial, a herb trial, and a youth trial (to get the kids excited about gardening). We’ve been listening to feedback and this year we’ve added lots of varieties that can be grown in containers.
The purpose of the trials is to have gardeners grow 2 varieties of a vegetable side-by-side and then give us their feedback through our online reporting site. To learn more details about the trials, you can visit the Vegetable Trials Homepage
There are a total of 13 trials this year. You can select to do from one to five vegetable trials plus the flower, herb, and youth trials. Community Gardens can choose to do all 13, if they would like. The cost of each trial is $3 plus shipping. If you pick up your order at the Athen’s County Extension Office, there are reduced shipping charges. To see a description of this year’s trials, visit the 2024 Trials page. The deadline to order is Feb. 16 for guaranteed seeds or March 1 for remaining seeds, When you are ready to order, visit the order site at https://go.osu.edu/veggies2024
The Washington County 4-H program will be hosting a make it and take it craft day. Youth in grades Kindergarten thru 12 are invited to the OSU Extension office located at 1115 Gilman Ave Marietta on December 22nd. The event will be open from 9:30 to 12noon. Youth will enjoy wreath making, off the hook crochet, ornament making, cookie baking, Christmas movies, and snacks. Participants are encouraged to bring a friend and register at the following link. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A094EADA72CA1FD0-46485833-holiday You do not need to be a 4-H member to attend. Please contact our office for further details 740-376-7431.
2024 Youth Tour Application Fillable
Each year, Washington Electric Cooperative sponsors two high school students on Youth Tour, a weeklong, all-expenses-paid trip to Washington, D.C. They are joined by around 40 other students representing electric co-ops throughout Ohio to tour historical sites and landmarks, meet their Congressional representatives, and learn about the cooperative business model. Best of all is that the experience is FUN! Many of our Youth Tour alum have called this an unforgettable, once-in-a-lifetime experience and say they have made friendships that will last their entire lives. Some of our students have even gone on to careers within the cooperative world.
Youth Tour will take place Saturday, June 15 through Friday, June 21. I’m reaching out to all of our local 4-H and FFA professionals in hopes that you might share this information with your students. The trip is open to high school sophomores and juniors whose parents are full time residential members (customers) of Washington Electric Cooperative. Application forms are attached and also available on our website at weci.org/youth-programs, and they are due by Feb. 9.
There is no minimum gpa requirement. Students who apply will then be interviewed at a later date here at Washington Electric Cooperative.
There is a video on the site that shares some of the highlights of the 2023 Youth Tour, which was attended by Addison Schaad of Waterford High School. Again, our goal is to send two students on the 2024 trip.
Director of Marketing, Washington Electric Cooperative
Still accepting registrations (until Monday, November 6)
Now is the time to start working on your 4-H Award Application – Due October 11. Yes, the OSU Extension Office will be open on Columbus Day!
Here is the link to find the awards application: https://go.osu.edu/wcforms
Here is a 3 minute video reviewing the awards too: https://www.facebook.com/OhioStateWashingtonCounty4H/videos/909318283859048
The Washington County Fairboard is hosting a Fall Festival on Saturday, October 14. They are asking for help from the community to provide this new event!
Help is needed with:
- Cookie Decorating
- Dining Hall/Food Service
- Gem Mining
- Pumpkin Painting/Carving
- Pumpkin Patch
- Wooden Race Car
Here is the link to volunteer: https://signup.com/go/kTvVaBx
Members can apply for 2023 Pin Awards and 2024 Trip Awards.
There is one application that does it all and you can choose the application that works best for you. See the options below.
- To recognize outstanding work by a 4‐H member at the end of a successful
- To recognize a history, or an accumulation of successes throughout a 4‐H
- To provide a career training opportunity for members to learn to complete an
- To provide a basis for Ohio 4‐H Achievement Awards & College Scholarships
2024 Trip Details
- Buckeye Leadership Workshop – Recreation Unlimited, Ashley, OH. March. Age 16 or high school sophomore.
- State 4‐H Leadership Camp – 4‐H Camp Ohio, early Must be age 15 as of Jan 1st.
- 4‐H Citizenship‐ Washington Focus – National 4‐H Center, Washington June/July. Must be age 14 as of Jan 1
- 4‐H Forestry Wildlife Camp – Forestry & wildlife education, fishing, hiking, tree climbing. Canter’s Cave 4‐H Camp. Weekend in April. Ages 12‐18
- 4‐H Sea Camp – Kelley’s Island, July, Must be ages 15‐17
- Ohio 4‐H Sr. Shooting Education Camp – Canters Cave 4‐H Camp, Jackson, OH. July. Must be ages 12 – 18.
- Ohio 4‐H Jr. Shooting Education Camp – Canters Cave 4‐H Camp, Jackson, OH. July. Must be age 9 –
- Space Adventure Camp – Marietta College. June. Youth ages 11‐13 and/or grades 7 – 9.
Award Application for Members to Complete. Choose the format that works best for you!
Club Award Forms & Year End Recognition
- Charlotte Wagner 4-H Club Community Service Award – due October 11, 2023
- 2023 Honor Club Application (completed by club)
- 2023 Scrapbook Application/Score Sheet (completed by club)
- October 11 Member’s application due to Extension Office. Extension Office removes names and adds numbers to applications to provide an anonymous packet for the Awards Selection Committee to review.
- October 23 Awards Selection Committee reviews applications and selects Project Pin and Special Pin Award Winners. Trip Committee interviews applicants and selects winners for 4-H Trips and Margaret Meredith award.
- Early November Award winners invited to attend the 4-H Year Celebration.
- November 16 4-H Year Celebration – Ice Cream Bar at 6:30 PM and program at 7:00 PM. at the Washington County Junior Fair Building. Award Applications are returned to applicants.