The 4-H Camp Counselors are a group of 4-H teens selected to assist in being responsible for campers ages 6-15 during 4-H camp. As a result of participation, counselors will develop knowledge, skills, attitudes and aspirations needed for adult success, and the Washington County 4-H program will be strengthened and expanded. Roles and Responsibilities of 4-H Camp Counselors include:
- Attend required trainings prior to camp
- Market and promote camp
- Serve in a leadership and teaching role to other counselors
- Serve on committees or other groups to plan programs at camp
- Conduct self in an appropriate manner before, during, and after camp while serving as a role model to campers and peers
- Assist staff and other counselors with camp activities; work as a team to implement the activities
- Know and understand all safety guidelines, including emergency procedures, associated with the camp and program areas
- Follow and enforce camp rules
- Assure for safety of campers at all times including in cabins, sessions, and large group activities
- Be aware of child protection regulations and report any child abuse, sexual abuse, or neglect in accordance with university policy
- Identify and respond to camper behavior issues
- Ensure campers’ health and hygiene, e.g., brushing teeth, eating meals, taking medication, etc.
- Promote camper participation during camp
- Lead and supervise campers in activities at camp including but not limited to songs, teambuilding challenges, group activities, challenges, etc.
- Teach and lead campers at workshops or during other components at camp (table setting, song leading, etc.)
- Mentor and give guidance to campers to encourage positive youth development and enhancement of life skills
- Teens (age 14 by camp time) are invited to apply for 4-H Camp Counselor positions
- Teens are needed for all of these camps. You can help with one or all three (based on age)
- Cloverbud Day Camp at Camp Hervida June 28 No Charge
- Beginner Camp at Camp Hervida June 29-30 $20 registration fee
- Junior Camp at Camp Hervida July 5-9 $40 registration fee
- Senior Camp at Camp Hervida July 19-23 $40 registration fee
- Space Adventure Camp at Marietta College TBD No Charge
- Complete the application in its entirety, including the video (2 mins maximum)
- Provide reference link to two non-family members. (First Time Applicants Only)
- Read and sign the Standards of Behavior, Camp Cell Phone Policy, and Camp Counselor Code of Conduct forms.
- Submit application, sign up for an interview (1st and 1 Year Experience Counselors) by Friday, March 5
Online Application: https://go.osu.edu/washcampcounselor
Reference Link: https://go.osu.edu/counselorreference
Interview Signups: https://go.osu.edu/counselorinterview
The online application includes questions about your interest to be a camp counselor, which camps you want to help with, activities you want to help with, etc. The online application requires you and a parent/guardian to sign a code of conduct/policies and requires you to upload a photo of yourself and a short video (2 minutes max.) about why you want to be a camp counselor, describe your experience working with kids at camp or elsewhere, and a fun fact about yourself!
- March 5 4:30 PM Online Application & References Due
- March 16 & 18 4:30-8:00 PM Interviews Only first year counselors and counselors with 1 year experience
- Su April 11 2:00-5:00 PM Counselor Training Location TBD
- Su May 16 2:00-5:00 PM Counselor Training Location TBD
- Thur/Fri June 3-4 Time TBD Counselor’s Camp Camp Hervida
- Su June 13 2:00-5:00 PM Counselor Training Location TBD
Have questions? Contact Camp Director, Martha Webster at firstname.lastname@example.org, 740-350-7585 or the Extension Office at 740-376-7431
This will be Hervida’s only fundraising event this year. Due to Covid the camp board will not be having the dinner or silent this year. The drawing will be held virtually on November 14. Tickets can be purchased from a Hervida Board Member or at the Extension Office.
Tickets are $35 donation.
4-H Camp! (Clap, clap) 4-H Camp! (Clap, clap). It is that time of year. I so wish that we could be together around the flagpole saying the pledges, making crafts in the craft hall, playing water games in the field, swimming in the pool, singing songs in the dining hall, hiking trails, or watching skits around the campfire. However, we are staying safe and healthy and staying home. The 4-H pledge says, “I pledge my health to better living” and we are all trying to uphold that pledge every day currently.
This year we have the awesome opportunity to try something new. Although I wish we could be out at Camp Hervida, I am very happy to be able to provide a virtual camping experience. I have received songs, dances, and memories from various previous and current counselors to add to the fun. I would love to have more memories or others who have attended camp to send me more videos. The site is currently available at https://go.osu.edu/washvirtualcamp
You can click on t-shirt order link to print out the form to order the special 2020 Hervida shirt and get access to the other amazing camp activities. The camp pictures from previous years are available without payment for the other activities. Payment for the t-shirt and site must be to the Extension Office no later than July 17th in order to receive a t-shirt.
Happy virtual camping to you all!
Martha Webster, Camp Director
Coming soon…. a virtual camping experience! Have fun with traditional 4-H Camp Hervida activities including songs, dances, signatures, camp meal ideas, and more.
Special t-shirt will be included in the package.
More information to come soon!
SAVE THE DATE
July 20, 21, and 22, 2020
Students Solving Problems
Summer Teen Camp
A 3-day experience with activities, workshops, and speakers focusing on positive mental health for teens, leadership, & career pathways for medical health, behavioral health, and philanthropy. Activities will include a career panel, scenarios / role playing, community service project, and yoga and other self-care activities.
Incoming Washington County
10th, 11th, & 12th grade students
TBD – If able at BB2C Epicenter,
if not will be held either virtual or hybrid
Approximately 9am – 3pm
Lunch provided if meeting together
Thanks to our funders: Washington County Behavioral Health Board, Marietta Community Foundation & the Sisters Health Foundation
Interested: Contact Suzy Zumwalde to be added to the interest list
Communication will follow with location and details
4-H Camp Hervida needs your help to fund a cabin replacement project. Cabin #8 was closed in 2019 due to an unstable foundation, sloping floor and mold caused by excessive moisture. The plan is to build a new 20′ X 24′ cabin on the same location. The new cabin will include a ramp for handicap accessibility.
Due to COVID-19 all 4-H Camps have been cancelled through August 31. Other spring and summer camps traditionally held at Hervida have also been cancelled. The income generated from these camps would have been used to begin the funding process to replace Cabin #8
The goal is $15,000
Link to the funder page: https://buckeyefunder.osu.edu/4hcamphervida
Link to video featuring Camp Hervida counselors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAM2sXfTTEo
Calling all stay-at-home campers! Ohio 4-H staff miss summer camp as much as you do, and we want to do what we can to bring elements of camp to your home!
On June 9-11, you are invited to join us for Ohio 4-H Camp…ish! It is open to any youth ages 8-18 across the state of Ohio. Friends who are not in 4-H are welcome to register, too! There is no cost for attending, although some activities will require the use of basic art supplies, household items, or things found outdoors. Please visit go.osu.edu/campish to register by June 7! Activities will be hosted at the following times each day: 9-11 AM, 1-3 PM, 4-5 PM.
Campers are not required to attend all sessions, so sign up and come for the times you can enjoy Camp…ish activities brought to you by Ohio 4-H Camp…ish Directors!