What are you doing April 22? Get yourself to Columbus for the first-ever Buckeye Young Shepherds’ Expo! Exciting, hands-on sessions around a variety of sheep and lamb topics. Complete your Quality Assurance requirements, take a look at a real lamb carcass and the cuts of meat, work on your ear tagging/tail docking/injection skills, and learn about careers in the livestock industry. Plus, visit with old friends and make new ones! The cost is $15 for kids and adults, which includes lunch. Youth participants receive a FREE t-shirt.
Register by April 8 at http://ohiosheep.org/lead-buckeyeyoungshepherdsexpo.html Registration will be capped at 200 participants, so register early!
Flier: 2023 Buckeye Young Shepherds’ Expo
The April 1st enrollment deadline is almost upon us!
Poultry orders for market turkeys, market chickens and market ducks are due Friday, April 14. Payment must be included. An order card can be printed from: https://washington.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/washington-county-4-h-forms
Or here: 2023 Poultry Order Postcard
Applications are available at go.osu.edu/4HEYAapp and are due by May 15, 2023.
OVERVIEW: The Ohio 4-H Event Youth Assistants (4HEYA) are a statewide group of 4-H teens that assist with Ohio State Fair events. In this process, members have an opportunity to enhance their leadership skills and be involved in the State 4-H program. They develop knowledge, skills, attitudes, and aspirations needed for future success. 4HEYAs work in partnership with the Ohio 4-H Teen Leadership Council, but the experiences as a whole are different.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?: 4-H members who are 13-18 years old as of January 1, 2023 and have previously completed at least one year of 4-H
- Term: June 1 -August 31(Applicants are still eligible to apply to be a member of TLC for the next term. Find more information about TLC here.)
- Working Events: Members are required to work at least 3 events at the Ohio State Fair. They will have the opportunity to sign up for their particular events in June.
- Number of Meetings/Events: In addition to working events, members are required to attend one of the training options (either July 11 or 17, 2023), both are held at the Ohio State Fairgrounds.
- Please note, individuals MUST attend one of the training options. This is not negotiable. If you know you are unable to attend a training option before applying, it is best to wait another year before applying to serve in this capacity.
LOCATION: All meetings and events are held at the Ohio State Fairgrounds in Columbus, Ohio. There are some Ohio State Fair events that are “off-site,” but members will be notified of the location prior to signing up for an event.
APPLICATION: Interested Ohio 4-H members are asked to submit by May 15:
- completed application (go.osu.edu/4HEYAapp),
- program fee ($25 submitted at go.osu.edu/4HEYA25 for new applicants, $15 submitted at go.osu.edu/4HEYA15 for returning applicants),
- two references (one must be from a non-related Extension professional and one can be from non-related 4-H club advisor, coach, teacher, etc.)
- DEADLINE: May 15 (no late applications will be accepted!)
YOUTH SELECTED RECEIVE:
- 4HEYA Polo
- 4HEYA Nametag
- State Fair admission and parking ticket(s) for the day(s) events are worked.
- State Fair meal ticket(s) for the day(s) events are worked.
- Optional state fair housing in the Rhodes Center Dormitory.
- NOTE: This is not required, but is an option for youth to stay overnight, if they desire to do so due to event work schedules.While youth are not chaperoned after the event(s) worked, there are adults present in the dormitory on the fairgrounds who monitor curfew and security of the dormitory. Housing is in a gender-specific shared living space, with several bunk beds in one room. 4-H representatives will be housed with other youth participants (4-H members and non-members) of the Ohio State Fair.
- Experience of working events at the Ohio State Fair.
- An opportunity to enhance leadership skills and be involved in the state 4-H program.
We still have 4-H candy bars available to sell. Call the Extension Office is you are interested in earning some money for your camp registration fees!
Click this link to sign-up! https://go.osu.edu/endowmentdinner
The committee is working to finalize plans, gather silent auction and live auction items and prepare for a wonderful meal on Saturday, April 1
Please review the available slots and visit the link below to sign up. You are welcome to sign up for as many slots as you wish – just make sure the times don’t conflict. If you plan to eat at the dinner you will need to purchase a ticket $30. When you complete this survey, you will need to indicate if you plan to eat early at 3:30 pm prior to the event. Thank you!
This week we are exploring Scrapbooking for our project of the week!
This project is designed for youth with limited or no experience in scrapbooking. Requires completion of project activities and creation of a scrapbook. Can be repeated by completing additional activities and a new scrapbook each year.
Learn more this and other projects at: https://projectcentral.ohio4h.org/
It’s time to enroll for 2023 and select your projects!
DEADLINE: April 1, 2023
- Use the family email you created last year.
- Contact the OSU County Extension office at 740-376-7431 if you don’t have your family email address.
- For your password, use the password you created in the past, if you forgot your password select the “Reset Password?” option. Then check your email for a password reset link.
- Do not set up a new profile. You must log into last year’s profile.
- To re-enroll a member from a previous year, click “Enroll Now” next to the profile of the appropriate member.
- Please be sure to enroll for all your clubs and projects at the same time. If you are a member enrolled in multiple clubs for instance ABC Explorers 4-H Club and XYZ FFA Chapter , then be sure to add projects to each club and chapter. If you do not enroll for all clubs and projects before you submit then you will not be able to add them yourself and will need to contact the Extension Office to add the projects or clubs after you submitted your enrollment.
New 4-H Families:
- Select the option “Don’t have an account?” and provide the requested information.
- Select Ohio as your state and then “Ohio 4-H Youth Development”.
- Select your county from the drop-down menu.
- Enter an email address, phone number, and create a password.
Trailblazers 4-H club along with Broken Wheel Tack will be hosting a tack auction on April 22, 2023 and 6pm. The event will take place at the Barlow Fairgrounds with doors opening at 4pm. New and used tack and other items will be auctioned. Trailblazers will have a food booth on the grounds. For more information contact Pam Moore 740-516-4157.