Required Tag-in for Market Lambs, Market Goats, Dairy Feeder Steers will be Saturday, June 5 from 8—10:00 am at the Washington County Fairgrounds. Watch for road signs to indicate lineup locations.
Blue Breed Verification Cards Required for Dairy Feeder Steers – due June 5 – must be sign by dairy farmer where purchased in Ohio and include the ODA Producer number.
Cards are available from the OSU Extension Office, your advisor or printed here: Breed Verification Blue Card 2021
Change for 2021: The Dairy Feeders are usually given an Inforce 3 vaccination at fair weigh-in. This vaccination will now be given to all dairy feeders at the June tag-in. Inforce 3 provides protection against Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis, Parainfluenza 3, Bovine Respiratory Syncytial Virus.
Castration must be done by tag-in. The Fair Vet – Dr Lowe will be checking animals during tag-in.
The Market Chickens and Market Ducks have been ordered. The birds will be shipping out in July. Members need to have their facilities or pens ready to go in July and look to pick up their market chickens on July 8 and the market ducks on July 22. Please hold these dates and be ready to meet us at Heritage Country Store on Third Street in Marietta. Please look for a post closer to the dates to be sure the pick up day is the same. We will be working with the hatchery to determine a pick up date and time. More information to come. For questions please contact the extension office at 740-376-7431.
The 2021 OSF Livestock Schedule is now posted at: https://ohiostatefair.com/agriculture-livestock/livestock-schedule/
Soon there will also be:
- Entry info
- Skillathon info
OSF is also planning on having other state youth contests including:
- Poultry Judging (July 17th)
- Avian Bowl (July 17th)
- Livestock Judging (July 30th)
More info on rules and entry will be coming soon.
There will be virtual poultry clinic for youth focusing on backyard production coming up on Tuesday, May 25th at 6:30pm. See the attached flyer for more information, or visit https://u.osu.edu/growingfranklin/2021/05/11/backyard-poultry-production-webinar-on-tuesday-may-25th-2021-630pm/. All youth of any age are invited to attend – please share with anyone who may be interested.
2021 Backyard Poultry Clinic
The past year brought us many difficulties and changes, including not being able to hold 4-H camps in person. Washington County 4-H is planning to host a modified version of typical summer camps for youth Kindergarten thru ninth grade. OSU Extension will be offering five camps this year, including three single day camps and two multi-day, day camps. Four of the camps will be held at Camp Hervida near Waterford and one camp will be held at the Washington County Fairgrounds. Please see below for the dates and camp specific information.
- Cloverbud Day camp Grades K-2: June 29th – Hervida (Lunch and Snack provided) – 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Day camp Grades 3-9: June 30th – Hervida (Lunch and Snack provided) – 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Multi-day Day Camp Grades 3-9: July 5-8th – Hervida (Lunch, Dinner and Snack provided)
- Multi-day Day Camp Grades 3-9: July 19-22nd – Hervida (Lunch, Dinner and Snack provided)
For the multi-day camps, drop off will be 9:00 am and pick up at 8:00 pm Monday-Thursday. Transportation will be available from Marietta to and from camp for the multi-day camps. Campers will be expected to come every day Monday-Thursday. The camp July 19-22nd will only occur if there are over 50 campers interested in both weeks. If not, only the camp July 5-8th camp will occur.
- Day camp Grades K-9: July 23rd – Washington County Fairgrounds (Lunch and Snack provided). This camp will offer different activities than the camps at Hervida.
Registration costs will include all needed supplies, food for the campers, and a reusable mask and camp picture for every camper. The camp staff and camp counselors are looking forward to a fun and exciting 4-H camping season! Camp t-shirts will be available at additional cost.
For more information about the 4-H camping program or enrollment, please contact the Washington County Ohio State University Extension office at (740) 376-7431, or download a registration form from https://go.osu.edu/hervida
Print your camp form here: 2021 Camper Reg Packet
The Washington County 4-H Saddle Horse Committee and the Extension Office will be hosting a mandatory parent meeting for all horse project members on Thursday May 13,2021. The meeting will be at the OSU Extension Office located at 202 Davis Ave Marietta beginning at 6:30pm. Social distancing and masks are required for the program. For more information call the office at 740-376-7431.
Waterford Community, Washington County, and Barlow Independent Fairs are seeking youth to apply for: Jr Princess, Prince, Queen, King, Dairy Princess, Horse Princess
Applications must be RECEIVED at the Extension Office by June 14, 2021
Interviews: August 16, 2021 evening (Time TBA)
Judging & Crowning: August 19, 2021 – 5:00 pm
- A member of a Junior Fair youth organization in Washington County.
- Candidates must be a Junior Fair Exhibitor at a Washington County Fair.
- Queen 16 – 19 as of January 1, King candidates: 16-19 years of age as of January 1, 2021. Princess, Prince, Dairy Princess, and Horse Princess candidates: 12-15 years of age as of January 1, 2021.
- Contestants may not be married, nor have been married, nor borne or fathered a child, or be with child.
- Has not previously served as Junior Fair King or Junior Fair Queen of Washington County.
- Prince, Junior Princess and Dairy Princess, Horse Princess may not run consecutive years for the same title.
Entry fee is $30.00. Make checks payable to Washington County 4-H Committee/Royalty.
All schools, youth organizations and civic organizations are invited to encourage candidates to enter the contest. Eligible Junior Fair organizations include 4-H, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, FCCLA, and FFA.
Application available at: https://washington.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/washington-county-4-h-forms
Application can be printed here: Royalty Contest Application 2021