Printing of the new 644R Insect Collection Guide is delayed, long enough that 4-H members will need to consult other resources for making their insect collections. Ohio 4-H has identified great resources from around the web to support their collecting activities. The links are posted at http://www.ohio4h.org/insects, are all free to view and, if desired, can be downloaded and printed. A list of recommended equipment and suppliers is included.
Friends of Lower Muskingum River are looking for 4-H youth and volunteers to help with their Pollinator Habitat Workdays at Luke Chute Conservation Area on May 19th and June 30th from 9AM -12 PM. They need help with planting, trail maintenance, removal of invasive species, and other aspects of making our pollinator habitat ready for the growing season. It’s a great way to learn about pollinators and plants that inhabit the area. No experience is required. Please visit their Facebook page with more information, Friends of Lower Muskingum River.
Hollie Shutts and others are looking for youth interested in Ohio State Fair Rabbit Competitions.
Anyone interested in participating or learning more about state fair rabbit competitions are invited to attend a practice meeting. The will be meeting on Wednesday’s at 6 pm. in Marietta @ 18088 state route 7 (50 & 7 going towards belpre) please bring paper and pencils and phones if you’ve got them! Rustina Taylor will be doing a showmanship demo please bring rabbits to practice with.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 740- 401- 0371
April 1 – May 16 – All Proceeds Support Youth Attending 4-H Camp & 4-H Trips
Are you planning to attend 4-H camp and want to earn funds toward your camp registration fee?
Schwan’s Cares uses online shopping to eliminate the hassle of money handling and product distribution. As a supporter you choose from over 350 high quality, delicious food options – you can shop online or purchase an eGift Card.
Campaign ID: 36254
Campaign Name: Washington County 4-H Camps & Trips
How to set up your account:
Campers will need to become a Team Member. Once you become a Team Member you can share your info with folks that would like to purchase Schwan’s food and support your efforts to raise funds toward your camp registration fees or 4-H trips.
- Earn 20% of sales toward your camp/trip registration fee
- Earn 40% when supporter purchase eGift Cards
There are 3 ways to place a fundraising order:
- Via Schwan’s Cares. Find your campaign or fundraiser and (1) choose “Buy Now” to purchase an eGift Card (online only; limit 1 per customer, per campaign) OR (2) choose “Shop Now” to place a food order from Schwan’s. You can support at the campaign level or at an individual fundraiser level.
- By Phone. Place your order via toll free number 1-855-870-7208. Make sure to provide your Campaign ID and/or Fundraiser ID when ordering by phone. (36254)
- Via Schwans.com. During checkout simply type in your Campaign ID and/or Fundraiser ID to contribute to your fundraiser.
- For existing Schwan’s customers, you will need to follow one of the 3 ordering steps above to create your fundraising affiliation and have your order contribute to the campaign. Your order will be delivered on your existing scheduled route day.
- For new customers, you will choose your delivery date and time during checkout.
- Form of payment is required when placing fundraising orders, but you can change payment at the door to a preferred method of payment (Check, Cash, EBT, or Credit and Debit Card are accepted). If you are not home during the time of delivery, we will leave your items in a protected freezer bag at no cost to you.
2018 Junior Fair Royalty Contest
Waterford Community, Washington County, and Barlow Independent Fairs
- Jr Princess
- Dairy Princess
- Horse Princess
Applications due to extension office on May 1, 2018 at 5pm
Interviews: August 13, 2018 evening (Time TBA)
Judging & Crowning: August 16, 2018 – 7:00 pm (Time approximate)
- A member of a Junior Fair youth organization in Washington County.
- Candidates must be a Junior Fair Exhibitor at a Washington County Fair.
- Queen 16 years of age by August 17, 2018 and no older than 19 years of age as of January 1, King candidates: 16-19 years of age as of January 1, 2018. Princess & Prince candidates: 12-15 years of age as of January 1, 2018.
- Contestants may not be married, nor have been married, nor borne or fathered a child, or be with child.
- Has not previously served as Junior Fair King or Junior Fair Queen of Washington County.
- Prince, Junior Princess and Dairy Princess, Horse Princess may not run consecutive years for the same title.
- Entry fee is $30.00. Make checks payable to Washington County 4-H Committee/Royalty.
All schools, youth organizations and civic organizations are invited to encourage candidates to enter the contest. Eligible Junior Fair organizations include 4-H, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, FCCLA, and FFA.
Application available at: https://washington.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/washington-county-4-h-forms
Hervida Chicken BBQ – Please come support the Chicken BBQ Dinner at Hervida on Saturday, May 5. Meal served 4:30 to 7:00pm. This is also a great opportunity to volunteer for camp by serving, clearing tables, or donating a dessert! Donations for the Country Store are always welcome!! Contact Jane Lennox at 740-568-8044
Our apologies for printing the wrong date in the Jr Fair Guide and 4-H Calendar for Barlow Livestock Tag-in. Market Dairy Goat Tag-in and Barlow Feeder Calf Tag-in will be Saturday, July 21 from 8 – 10 AM at the Barlow Fairgrounds. This is the third Saturday of July. Please share this correct date.
Once enrollment forms are entered into the 4-H database a reminder postcard will mailed to exhibitors effected by this correction.
Interest in some local classes being taught at the Epic Center in Marietta?
Making a Skirt – April 20
Making a Jean Apron – April 20
Basic Watercolor – April 21
Sewing Machine Basics – April 27
Introduction to MIG Welding – April 28
Tote Bag Making – April 28
Click on the link below to download the training fact sheet and response questions.