Are you a home gardener interested in cultivating your growing skills into a small business? Have you thought about getting into farming but don’t know where to start? This free, online introductory training will help participants develop a sustainable plan for continued growing. Whether farming to generate income or for personal consumption, this program help participants with setting financial goals, selling their products, and establishing collaborative relationships.
Saturday, Dec 11 from 9:30 – 12:30 pm via Zoom
Register by visiting: go.osu.edu/farmbusiness
- Financial Goal Setting
- Selling Your Products
- Collaborative Food and Ag
Cultivating A Farm Business_Flyer 2021
The stockmanship division of the Ohio Cattlemen’s Association’s (OCA) BEST program. The stockmanship program promotes education of our youth by expanding participants’ knowledge of the beef industry. It provides youth with an opportunity to showcase their abilities and talents outside of the show ring.
OCA wants to see the program grow this year and include more youth who are not involved in showing cattle.
All of this information and much more is also available on our website at WWW.OHIOCATTLE.ORG/BEST
Do you have an interest in serving on the Washington County Livestock Committee? The committee currently has a couple of vacancies to fill. Letters of interest will be taken until February 22 and should be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to OSU Extension, 1115 Gilman Ave, Marietta, OH 45750
- January – November
- Attend meetings held the 4th Tuesday of each month
- Attend Tag-in / Tattooing (held in December, June, August)
- Attend County Fair (Volunteer during weigh in, shows, and sale)
General Purpose & Specific Responsibilities
- Aid the Washington County Agricultural and Mechanical Association in the function of market livestock relating to large and small animals at the annual exposition;
- Establish rules and regulations that parallel other expositions and comply with all federal and state (Ohio Department of Agriculture) rules governing livestock exhibitions (in cooperation with the Washington County Agricultural and Mechanical Association); and
- Ensure a high profile, positive educational experience for youth participating in the exhibition through 4-H and FFA projects through:
- Coordination of the annual livestock exhibitions and sale at the Washington County Fair; and
- Coordination of educational activities throughout the year for youth exhibitors (i.e. – Quality Assurance, Skillathons, Clinics and other projects deemed worthy by the committee and in accordance with state and federal regulations.)
- Actively promote the livestock sales to recruit and recognize livestock buyers.
- Oversee and conduct the Washington County Jr Livestock Sale
The Washington County 4H program will be hosting a holiday crafting day at their office located at 1115 Gilman Ave Marietta. The event will take place on December 22 from 9:30am to 12 noon. All youth K through 12 are invited to attend(this event is open to any youth, you do not need to be a 4H member to attend). Our crafting day will consist of card making, ornament making, gift tag workshops, and no sew fleece blankets. A holiday snack and Christmas movies will be offered as well. Our current 4H members are encouraged to bring a friend and wear their favorite holiday shirt. We ask that you RSVP using the following link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A094EADA72CA1FD0-4hholiday . Attendees may stay for the entire time or just drop in for an hour or more until the conclusion of the event. For more details please call our office at 740-376-7431.
OSU Extension is hosting a 12 Days of Christmas Cookies recipe event. You can find the tasty details at: https://www.facebook.com/OhioStateWashingtonCountyExtension
Ohio State Fair Steer Registration
- 2022 State Fair Market Beef Registration DNA sample kits and EID tags are available from the Extension Office. All samples must be received at the Ohio State Fair by January 15, 2022
Market Steer Tag-in & Weigh-in for 2022
- Tag-in for 2022 Market Steers to be taken to the Washington County Fair will be Saturday, December 11 from 8-9:30 AM at the NFO Building on SR 339 near Waterford.
The Washington County Career Center has advertised a part-time, up to 30 hours per week position. This position will open when Marty Clark retires. The position is AgriBusiness Planning & Analysis Coordinator. Qualifications include a high school diploma or higher required. Relevant postsecondary certification or associates degree preferred. Min. of 3 years related experience required. Proficient skills with computers/programs an verbal & written communication. Demonstrates an understanding of teaching and learning of the adult Agriculture population.
Contact Anthony Huffman or Marty Clark at the Career Center for more details and a complete job description. 740-373-2766
Learn the signs and what to do if African Swine Fever or another foreign animal disease affects your herd. This program addresses the steps you should take, the state and federal response and biosecurity planning. Presentations provided by Ohio Department of Agriculture, USDA and The Ohio State University.
Small swine producers – even if you have just a pig or two this information is for you! But producers of any size are welcome to attend.
Veterinarians with swine clientele.
There is no cost to attend and no RSVP required. Light refreshments provided by Ohio Pork Council.
An additional presentation will be held in Southeast Ohio- date/location TBD
Any questions? Contact Dr. Kristy Shaw at 614.728.6253 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Licking County Extension Office
771 E Main St., Suite 103 Newark
Clinton County Extension Office
111 S Nelson Ave., Suite 2, Wilmington
Champaign County Extension Office
1512 S US Highway 68, Suite B100, Urbana
Putnam County Extension Office
1206 E. 2nd St., Ottawa
OSU – ATI
1328 Dover Rd., Wooster
You can find the application here: 2022 Junior Fair Board Application