An Impactful Class-BME 2001

One of the best classes that impacted me was the BME 2000 class, the introductory class the biomedical engineering. This class covered what the biomedical engineering field currently has to offer in an amazing format. It was all asynchronous, providing flexibility as the transition into fully online classes was starting to baffle everyone. We covered all the domain of biomedical engineering: Biotransport, Biomechanics, Biomaterials, Cell & Tissue Engineering, Micro/Nanotechnology, Bioimaging, and a discussion on Bioethics. We had interesting content in the lectures, all of which were available to view at any time. Additionally, the homeworks in relation to the topics were challenging but provided a great look at what the domain involves and what students are expected to learn in them. Lastly, we investigated various biomedical instruments, techniques, and products that gave us a wholistic look at what biomedical engineering can result in. This part was done in the form of group projects that result in a written submission and a Spark Pages presentation. Not only did we look into the details of the assigned technology subjects, but we also made a presentation that would later be published so that students may go back and review these at any point in time. These can serve as a memory refresher when we get more in depth with these techniques and technologies in the future, and the presentation style provides easy to navigate scrolling alongside a slew of imagery and diagrams. This class has been the most helpful when I later took other BME courses, as I could go back and reference videos and the projects that were written out and presented. While not overwhelming students, this class helped us look into the field of biomedical engineering and get a grasp of what there is to study and perhaps turn into a career. I look forward to taking more classes in the biomedical engineering subject, and I can’t wait to see the topic covered in BME 2000 to be studied in greater detail.