Tennis in High School

I began playing tennis my junior year in high school, and that is when I fell in love with the sport. It all began as a challenge from one of my friends, the challenge was to beat her in a match by sping. Let me put this out there now, she plays at the national level while I have never touched a racquet in my life. So I began my journey in tennis one winter afternoon in my chemistry class, for the first few months tennis took over my life; I began spending 10 to 15 hours a week at a club, every moment I got I spent on learning how to serve a ball, hit a forehand, a backhand, and much much more. Tennis is so much more than it seems, there are so many variables that can affect the outcome of a match. The wind, the angle the racquet is at, the speed of your swing, the speed of the incoming ball, topspin, slicing, the height of the bounce, the location of where the ball is at in the court, they all affect how the pace of the game goes. Once into a game, the world around me disappears, the world results to me, my racquet, and the ball. I did not win against her during the spring but I did gain the appreciation for tennis, I found the sport I love and I would not have if it wasn’t for some silly challenge. That experience got me to join the tennis team at my school and I met some amazing people there. The lesson to be learned here is there are many things in life that are new. By trying new things you slowly uncover interests that were still unknown to you, it is important to experience new concepts and diversify yourself. Maybe something simple will surprise you.