ACES Mentee Interview

Julie Meyer – Major: Health Sciences

Rachel Sutton – Major: Early Childhood Education

Five questions: How did you decide on your major?

How do you plan to get involved on campus?

Why did you choose ACES?

What is your dream job and why?

Miscellaneous category: What has surprised you about Ohio State? What is your   favorite thing to eat at Scott?

Both Julie and Rachel were both very passionate when talking about their majors. Julie’s dream job is to be a doctor because she wants to help care for people and hopefully make a difference in their lives. She decided on health sciences because she felt that it gave her a very broad range of classes and she would be able to apply different skills and knowledge to her future patients because of that. Rachel felt the same as Julie when it came to picking her major, she wanted to make a difference in someone’s life, and since she loves working with kids, she decided on Early Childhood Education in the hopes of becoming a teacher. Being involved in ACES for both girls really came back to their caring for others attitude. Rachel thought that being involved could help her in her major and expose her to working with children while on campus. They were both really surprised about the diversity that they found on campus when first coming to Ohio State. Being from Cleveland and Columbus respectively, they did not realize that Ohio State is way more diverse than either of their hometowns, or than either of them could have realized. Rachel brought up walking to and from classes, and they both said that they thought it would be a lot more walking than it is, that, or they have just gotten used to it already as they were laughing to each other. Both of them have the majority of their classes on north campus which they said they enjoy because it forces them to stay over their during their breaks from class and get work done, rather than coming back to their rooms in between and watching Netflix or just hanging out. They both seemed a little stressed when we began talking about involvement on campus. I reminded them that its really over, its easy to be confused on what to do with all of your free time. Julie has joined both Bioethics and Premed club, but she did say that she really misses the structure of home and high school. They both touched on the fact that they have found that they plan out their day in the morning and continue to modify their schedule as they go. They pick when and where they are going to have lunch and dinner, they decide what homework to do when and if they are going to go to the library or downstairs in the study rooms. We talked about how its really easy to lose track of time and get distracted if you don’t have a plan for yourself. As we were talking about this and having classes far from Smith – Steeb we started talking about dining plans and where they like to eat. They both spend a lot of time at Scott because they can swipe in during their classes and work on homework while they eat lunch or get together with some friends. We all agreed that the breakfast station at Scott is by far our favorite. As we continued to talk about anything and everything I realized just how similar the three of us all are which made me really glad that I decided to participate in the mentorship program. We brainstormed different places to go for our Columbus outing and talked about other fun things to do in the city, and on campus. I enjoyed being able to share my stories from freshmen year with them and give them advice as to what I found worked and was helpful for me last year. We all were in agreement that we can’t wait for fall break next week, as its that point in the semester where we’re all just pretty drained. Overall, I would say the interview went really well, and I enjoy have two mentees because I feel like it helps them to be more comfortable with me and to also get closer with each other.