Columbus Greek Festival

IA Social Event

August 30th, 2019, The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral, 7:00-10:00pm

Equipped with only an admiration for the Gyro and a faint understanding of the Orthodox church, I arrived at the gates of the Greek festival. Within them, I was able to witness a myriad of different dances, songs, and types of food that I had previously been unaware of, giving me a deeper understanding of Greek culture beyond the parade of stereotypical iconography associated with ancient Greece that is often present in the modern conversation.

Moving away from the dance floor and into the cathedral, I encountered one of the most ornate and breathtaking sights of my life. Adorned with gold mosaic, marble decorations, rainbows of stained glass, and a depiction of Jesus with a slew patriarchs of the Old Testament looking down at me from the inside of the central dome, the place of worship was unlike any I’ve ever experienced. Beforehand, I didn’t have a good understanding of the Schism of 1054 and the ways in which the Orthodox church split from the Catholic church, but with the help of a helpful infographic and an equally helpful church tour guide, my previous questions regarding the church were largely answered.

A common theme in International Affairs, cultural appreciation, constantly ran through my head in and out of the cathedral. This experience showed me the joys of appreciating the previously unknown, as well as reminding me why baklava might be the greatest culinary invention of all time. The event impacted my understanding of the Orthodox church by not only exposing me to the culture of those who make up the congregation but also informing me of the unique beauty and spirituality that can be found in the Orthodox church itself.

Although the event didn’t explicitly align with an academic or professional goal of mine, I gained a deepened appreciation for those who carry on their cultures amidst complete strangers. If a young kid can put on a dance honoring his culture in front of hundreds of strangers, the least I can do is watch. Going forward, this event reinforced in me the goal to simply strive to understand and appreciate those around me.