Learning Journal #7

One of the issues I have with the educational field is the confusion with terminology.  From the Handbook of Research on Educational Communications and Technology 4th Edition,  chapter outlines the issues with design research by explain that,  “distinguishing educational design research from other forms of inquiry in education is made more difficult because it has been referenced in the literature by a number of different terms such as “design-based research.” Then the same issue appears again in chapter 15, Terminology and Levels of Qualitative Analysis. The term itself is confusing and can be applied a number ways. “The term “qualitative research” is used in a variety of ways that are not equivalent, a fact that is particularly confusing to novice researchers.”

What has helped me to get a better understanding in these chapters is when the authors use chart that defines all of the different usages of the terms.  In the same chapter there is a levels of qualitative research that makes understanding the various concepts easier.

This brings me to my next thought, why do we use so many over-used terms when conducting “new research methods”? I feel that alone is adding a layer of difficulty that prevents successful research examples. Maybe if there was a way to just simplify or create new terms then the research process would not take so long.

The article Research Trends states a few good ideas on how to capture great data examples. The one that appealed to me was the randomize “true experiment.” I felt that the example that was used in the reading creates a personal connection with the user and educator.