I love art of all mediums. I live for that mental escape when I sit down at my desk to a blank canvas and get lost in my own emotions flowing onto the white fabric; that moment when I see the most striking sunset and carefully manipulate my camera settings to capture an image even better than the real deal; that feeling when I pick up my saxophone or flute and play a melody that actually moves me. Art is the most literal form of magic. It transforms, it heals, it inspires.

But I also possess a deep adoration for science, both physical and biological. My passion for physical sciences started when I first picked up Stephen Hawking’s A Brief History of Time from the dusty shelves at my local library as a middle schooler. As I read, my mind was broken, everything I thought I knew shattered, and built up again with a deeper, more profound understanding. I never looked at such sciences the same. Every time I learn about new information from classes, books, or my beloved YouTube subscriptions (minutephysics, Vsauce, SciShow, PBS Spacetime, Kurzgesagt) I am utterly blown away at the complex intricacy of our universe and crave more knowledge. Through my research, I became increasingly drawn to the ways in which particles interact and what becomes of them when they do. I yearn to understand these interactions and how they affect the universe.

Biological sciences may not address the entire universe, but the much smaller, more local universe on Earth. However, it is no less intricate. It is with these sciences that I have the oldest bond. Before learning about particle bonding or quantum mechanics, I identified with animals. My first job aspiration was not a princess or the president, but a big cat trainer. Before even attempting division, I was reading book after book about life on earth and caring for the 8 different species (cats, dogs, rats, hamsters, sugar gliders, ferrets, parakeets, turtles) I called family at some point or another. Through expanding my knowledge, my interests have since evolved, but I could never lose these sciences that have been instilled at my core.

Unfortunately, science is often viewed as the stark opposite of art. While there are no boundaries to dam the flow of creative thinking, strict rules and laws govern scientific exploration. Even the physical and biological sciences are often viewed as different paths. While contemplating my path in life, I cannot imagine having to lose these passions that are all part of me, whether it be art which I have cherished since could hold a pencil, or plants and animals, or my hunger for physical sciences.

That is why I am at Ohio State; the options are endless. I am not yet sure where I want to go, but I know that I will keep my interests at heart with involvement in the Zoology Club, the Athletic Band, the American Chemical Society, and the Chemistry Club. Currently, my trajectory may be turbid, but my hope is that by the time I hold that diploma in my hands, my career path will be clear.