1. KEEP THE LOVE OF PLAYING YOUR FAVORITE SPORT ALIVE: Many students at Ohio State have played at least one sport in their past, whether it was for a high school team, a church group, or a travel program of some sort. We all experienced the sadness and tears when it was finally all said and done. As first-year students, the separation from sports is still fairly fresh since you haven’t been removed for that long. Intramural sports are a PERFECT way for you to get off the bench and get back in the game!
2. ORGANIZED GAMES: Admit it. You can only play so many pick-up basketball games at the RPAC before you get annoyed with the guy who fouls every five seconds. Sure they’re fun and competitive, but do you want a little bit more structure and organization to your games? Intramural sports provide referees or officials, record wins and losses, observe time limits or running clocks, and even have tournaments and playoffs! Intramural sports allow you to feel like you’ve never left the game!
3. EXERCISING AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY: We all know that since coming to college, motivation and procrastination have become our two new best friends, especially when it comes to working out. It may be difficult to find time with our busy, hectic schedules to go play a game of soccer or racquetball with some friends. With intramural sports, games are at a set day and time every week so you can budget your time accordingly!
4. STRESS RELIEVER: I think it goes without saying that college is a little bit more difficult than we all thought it would be. Stress piles up on us with assignments, exams, work, social events, and everything in between. Taking time to focus on your physical wellness and health, even if it is just for a little bit every week, is vital to staying balanced. Therefore, using intramural sports as that outlet is a perfect way to keep active, stay healthy, and not look like this cat.
5. SO MANY OPTIONS: Intramural sports here at Ohio State are unlike any other collegiate recreational program in the nation. We offer over 40 sports for men, women, and co-ed teams! 40! Choose from your traditional sports like football, soccer, or basketball, or the not-so-traditional like arm wrestling, chess, inner tube water polo, or broomball! You’re guaranteed to have a great time playing, no matter what sport you choose!
6. MEET NEW PEOPLE AND PLAY WITH YOUR FRIENDS: Intramural sports give you the opportunity to make your own team with your friends or to join a random team to meet new people. Whichever route you choose, you’re bound to make great memories and meet some amazing people! Oh, and did I mention it’s a ton of fun?
So now that you’ve been convinced to play some intramural sports, it’s time to dust off those baseball cleats, dig the tennis racquet out from the back of your closet, and put on your game face! Head over to recsports.osu.edu/intramural-sports to check out everything that is offered! In case you skipped the previous line or were reading too fast, it’s recsports.osu.edu/intramural-sports!! See you out there!