Ohio State was founded in 1870 as a land-grant university. 75 years later in 1945, two hopeful entrepreneurs created an international sensation and paved the way for ice cream shops. This sensation is now known as Baskin-Robbins, which originally featured 31 ice cream flavors – one for each day of the month. Oddly enough, these 31 ice cream are similar to different aspects of your first year. Here is a fun and lighthearted list of what you may experience during your first year at Ohio State, represented by Baskin-Robbins ice cream flavors.
1. Creole Cream Cheese: Get ready for a whole new experience.
2. Chocolate: Use campus resources for a rich, smooth transition.
3. Lemon Custard: Like some untraditional flavors, you may need to adjust to some things.
4. Peppermint Stick: Many aspects will be fresh and new.
5. Banana Nut Fudge: Like the many ingredients in this flavor, there will be so many things to do.
6. Maple Syrup: Love syrup? Get a side with some pancakes at Sloopy’s Diner.
7. Egg Nog: During the holiday season, be sure to go to Light Up the Lake.
8. Rock ‘n Pop Swirl Sherbet: Want some exercise? Dance to the music at BuckeyeThon.
9. Splish Splash Yogurt: Get your swim on at the RPAC (the pools are amazing!).
10. Amazing Spider-Man 2: See your favorite movie on the Oval with OUAB.
11. German Chocolate Cake: Visit German Village.
12. Baseball Nut: See a Clippers baseball game downtown.
13. Cherry Macaroon: Maybe you come here and find that special someone, that “cherry to your macaroon.” Go for a romantic walk around Mirror Lake (see #2 on this list of romantic places)…
14. Love Potion #31: …and maybe even win his or her heart.
15. Peppermint Fudge Ribbon: If you’re looking to “make ties” you can start by attending the Student Involvement Fair in the fall.
16. Super Yumberry Greek Yogurt: Find out what it means to be in Greek Life.
17. World Class Chocolate: Definitely look for a study abroad opportunity! (I went to Guatemala this past year and it was such a great experience.)
18. French Vanilla: En savoir plus sur l’étude à l’étranger à l’étude à l’étranger exposition!
19. Pistacho Almond: So get crackin’!
20. Chocolate Ribbon: A school like Ohio State is a gift, unwrap that gift and think outside of the box.
21. Rainbow: There is something here for everyone, regardless of background. Find your own “pot of gold” at the end of your journey.
22. Cotton Candy: Have fun and don’t be afraid embrace your childish side.
23. Pineapple Sherbet: Trust me, college is going to be sweet.
24. Lemon Crisp: It can also be sour at times.
25. Rocky Road: There are going to be bumps along the way.
26. Coffee: You may need some energy for those late night study sessions.
27. Strawberry: Stop by for a treat at Thompson Library’s Berry Café.
28. Chocolate Chip: Big or small, no two chips are the same. Be your own person.
29. Peach: Do your best in your classes, so you can be just peachy.
30. Vanilla: Vanilla is standard. Ohio State has high standards for you, but we have faith you can be successful here.
31. Date Nut: And at the heart of it all is a nut that we all love: a Buckeye.
Your first year will be one to remember, so try to make the most of it. Get involved, meet people and take risks. This will be a time that will challenge you, but at the same time will teach you so many things. You will discover more about yourself and make the friends of a lifetime, so get pumped because your college experience is just around the corner!
Stay tuned for Sam’s post, the 33 Things I Now Know About Ohio.