Ohio State is a very special place. Here are just some of the things you can do to take advantage of its many incredible opportunites!
1. Learn to love our alma mater. At Ohio State we sing “Carmen Ohio” at the end of athletic events and student organization meetings–and of course at graduation. Get a head start and learn Carmen here!
2. Enjoy the rivalry. Welcome to the winning side of the intense rivalry between Ohio State and Michigan! Go Bucks!
3. Run along the Olentangy Trail. While campus offers state-of-the-art recreational centers, pounding the pavement on the Olentangy Trail can be a nice change of pace in favorable weather. Grab a friend, stay in shape and explore this little piece of nature in an urban setting!
4. Attend an Ohio State football game.
The Ohio Stadium, AKA The Shoe, is a registered historic landmark built in 1922. Today it seats over 100,000 people! Be sure to check out the beautiful rotunda on the way to your first game!
5. Play with puppies on the Oval! Many upperclassmen at Ohio State bring their pets to the Oval. Why not stop by and pet a puppy between classes?
6. Visit the rooftop garden of Knowlton Hall. Simply discover its beauty!
7. Take a chocolate science class. To earn one elective credit hour and learn a whole lot about chocolate, enroll in Food Science and Technology 1110.
8. Stroll around campus and notice the amazing variety of architectural styles. From the modernity of the RPAC to the Richardsonian Romanesque style of Orton Hall, there is something for everyone to enjoy on campus.
9. Gather a group of friends and request a tour of the Byrd Polar Research Center. This center collects, maintains and studies ice cores from glaciers. It is one of the leading centers for this type of research in the world!
10. Schedule a visit to the Center for Automotive Research. Here you can learn about one of Ohio State’s research initiatives and visit the Buckeye Bullet, one of the fastest race cars in the world, built entirely by Ohio State students!
11. Head to the 11th floor of Thompson Library. Here you can enjoy stunning views of campus and downtown Columbus.
12. Take in the beauty of the “Winged Victory” sculpture in Thompson Library. The original stands in the Louvre in Paris, but Ohio State has its own replica right here on campus!
13. Go on a Buck-I-SERV trip. While many schools offer alternative break programs, not many are as impressive as the Buck-I-Serv program here at Ohio State. Indulge your wanderlust and help others by applying to one of the many service programs!
14. Get a smoothie at the RPAC! RPAC smoothies are absolutely incredible. Just trust me on this one.
15. Head to the Outdoor Adventure Center (ARC) and climb the 35-foot-tall rock climbing wall! Admission is already included in your student fees. You just need your student ID! Leave your fear of heights at home!
16. Take the COTA bus to a fancy dinner in the Short North, a trendy neighborhood just south of campus. COTA bus transportation is also included in your fees for the semester — take advantage of it!
17. Take a stroll down the Long Walk of the Oval. If you walk hand in hand with your significant other while the Orton bells are ringing and no one crosses your path, your love is said to last forever!
18. AND FINALLY: Experience the feeling that comes with being a Buckeye! Whether you have already felt it or not, I believe there comes a time in every Buckeye’s life when that person appreciates what it means to be a student at the Ohio State University. For you, that moment may come at orientation or it may come a bit later. But at some point, you will realize you are a Buckeye for life.
Be sure to catch the next blog post from Cody explaining the 19 Most Important Acronyms at Ohio State!