Space and Time Walk: Process

Research:

Postcard Activity

• One of the first activities we did in class was about making a postcard for a certain destination on campus, I chose the Brutus Buckeye bench in the Ohio Union.
  • Words to Describe this Location:
      • feels like home
      • a place for people to make memories
      • everyone stops at this bench to take a picture with Brutus (travelers, touring, future students, alumni)

Group Activity: Slow Looking

• The goal of this activity was to take a certain route to any destination on campus starting from Hayes Hall, and then take a different route on the way back to Hayes Hall. We chose Mirror Lake as our destination.

• Observations of 1st Path:
      • Busy (people walking all over in different directions)
      • the red brick underneath our feet
      • People socializing and relaxing in nature
  • Observations of 2nd Path:
      • Air feels refreshing on our skin
      • Transition of multiple types of materials underneath our feet
      • Animals and sunlight create a feeling of peace

Observing Different Types of Maps

• In class we looked at 6 different styles of maps to get inspiration on what we could input into our own maps. This activity was helpful in the way that it opened many doors and ideas for how I could put this map together and make it readable for anyone who decides to go on my path.

Exercises:

1: Poetic Instructions for Path to Destination

• Key Sentences:
      • “The sea of people ramble through North Oval, scurrying to get to their next class.”
      • “As I walk by Hughes Hall, the music from within tickles at my ear only to faintly recognize the song.”
      • “The big, bushy trees on my right hand side silence out the noise of the world but the construction on my left hand side rattles in my ear.”
  • To view the full document of written and poetic instructions, click the link:  Full Instructions

2: Image Compositions of Path

• The images in the composition are locations that you pass along the path that I originally chose. Not all locations are depicted on this composition as I changed which locations I wanted to represent in my final map.

Iterations:

1. First Idea

• Each building on my path has a specific meaning to me and I wanted to show that within my map. So I used the symbol that alludes to that building’s meaning to me, as the actual building. Trying to convey that each location is not just a building, but a story behind each.

2. Second Idea

• After some brainstorming, I realized that the meaning of this map is really a walk down my childhood, and how multiple visits to OSU’s campus as a kid helped form my dreams and goals in life (especially having a growing love and aspiration to be a buckeye someday). So, I thought about how I could convey this childhood of mine. I took this idea quite literally and thought maybe having a female figure (representing myself) actually walking through my path.

3. Final Idea

• In this last ideation, I decided to go back to my original idea of using the buildings as a symbol, but this time in a different way. As I said, this path reminds me of my childhood, so I decided a way to show that childhood grow into adulthood is to use a literal figure that grows up as they pass each building.
  • To take the idea a little further, I also manipulated each building to what someone from that certain age might view the buildings. For example, starting at Hayes Hall is a little child with their mother, Hayes is constructed out of wooden building blocks. Moving to Hughes Hall, the building already looks rectangular and it is the College of Music so I included a piano as the structure of the building.
  • As you follow along this journey, each building slowly matures as the individual grows older as well.
The meaning behind each building
Ideas of how the child would grow

Production:

Ideations of Drawing

• I made multiple drawings of how I would want to depict the figures in the ‘scenes’ of each building. The photos shown are some of my brainstorming and attempts at drawing.

Rough Draft

Final Map

Reflection

• Overall this project was one that I actually enjoyed doing the process as I was able to really work through my ideas and thoughts and experiment what I liked more.
  • I went through a lot of mental blocks as I would get stuck on one idea and didn’t know how else I could convey a certain feeling or idea. But I am proud of myself for working through those stuck moments and putting my best effort in.
  • My biggest challenge was time and making sure I had enough time to do what I wanted on this project. Of course I feel like I could’ve been a little more creative when it comes to craft but this was my first time fully hand drawing everything on my own and that was a challenge just within itself.

Link to Portfolio Project: Space and Time Walk