Perspective: Process

Research

2D perspective example

Getting Inspiration

I went into this project knowing that I wanted my studio room to feel warm and cozy because I think that is most accurate with my wants and desires in my own personal life. In this example, I was able to start visualizing what elements I wanted to add to my room to make it feel the vibe that I wanted.

Learning how to use vanishing point

Vanishing Point 

I did some searching on how to use the vanishing point when it comes to drawing objects. In this example, it shows the direction each line should go in order to make basic, household objects 2D.

Exercises

• 1: Line and Contour

• After doing multiple contours of different objects, I selected one object and cut it out to use as a stencil. Then I used that stencil to repeatedly trace it into a new composition.
    • By creating this new composition, I learned that no matter the object, it can still have the availability to combine different parts/aspects of itself together to make a pattern. Which is something that I experimented with as I created this composition simply for the reason that this object was so different on each side and I was curious to see how well it would pair together using different parts of the object.
Stencil of Object
New Composition

• 2: Triangulation Drawing

• I chose to draw Hopkins Hall as my observational drawing because of its simplicity that comes with the geometrical parts that make up the building but also due to the complexity these shapes can create by the format or layout that they are designed in.
    • The hardest part about this drawing was creating it just by visually seeing the building from 20 feet away. I often used my pencil to somewhat try and measure out the distance of the building but also all the windows and columns that were within in, which I think really helped with the accuracy of the final drawing.
My perspective of the building during drawing process
Final Outdoor Drawing

• 3: Grid Space

• One of my biggest struggles was trying to figure out what kind of perspective I wanted for my studio room. I often went back and forth between a lot of dimensions, attempting to focus in on vertical or horizontal layout and then the dimensions I could use with each.
    • I decided to go with the dimensions 16 inches by 11 inches, so that I was able to comfortably and spatially include all objects that were required to be included in the project.
My Final Grid Space

Iterations

• Quick Brainstorming

• I made a couple quick sketches to get some of my ideas down as to what I wanted to include in my studio room. I knew there were specific objects that were required to be shown within the room so I made sure I had those put down first, then I came back to it and started to dive deeper into how I could make this room come to life.
First quick sketch
Second sketch, finding dimensions

• Final Sketch 

• This sketch was a visual that I felt was necessary for me to have so that I had a foundation that I could come back to if I needed reminded of my ideas and logistics of the project. I often found myself using this sketch throughout the whole process of creating my final drawing. Although my ideas of the room changed during the beginning process of drawing, this sketch became extremely helpful and jogged my brain whenever I felt stuck.
Realistic Sketch

Production 

• Digital Composition

• I wanted to create a more realistic and accurate draft of my final, so I used my iPad and the program Sketchbook, in drawing a replica of what my final physical drawing will look like once I included the horizon line and vanishing point. This reference became extremely helpful when I began physically drawing my studio room.
Digital Composition
  • Tracing

• I used tracing paper on top of my grid space in order to reference my dimensions of each object and stay on track. The image below is what my composition looked like after tracing all aspects onto the tracing paper.

Tracing onto Final

• After I finished tracing the design onto tracing paper, I then placed the tracing paper behind my final paper and tapped it onto the window. The light coming in through the window helped me see the lines on the tracing paper and transfer them to my final composition.

• My Final Studio Room

Reflection

• This project was a first for me and something I have never done. It was really intimidating at first and became increasingly stressful the more I looked at the grid space I had made for my layout. Being able to visualize where everything should go on the grid space was somewhat difficult and made me pay close attention to why that grid space is so important.
    • A couple aspects of the final composition such as the ceiling beams and the couch/table were my biggest hurdles that I put a lot of effort into creating the best that I could. I acknowledge that these objects are not exactly placed or designed as they should but it was a learning process for me and makes me admire my hard work that went into them.
    • There are a couple things I wish I could’ve adjusted such as the poster on the right wall, it should be facing/going toward the vanishing point. I also wish I had the time to add more details as I think it would make the room feel even more comfy and cozy.

Link to Portfolio Project: Perspective