Shape Grammar: Process

Research:

Elements & Principles

• I have always known about the shape grammar terms but never knew the exact definition or what context they should be used in, until being presented with these terms through the PowerPoints provided during class.
  • Having the visuals side by side with the definition really helped me grasp each term. While also helping me start to think about what principle I wanted to create in my project.

Growing Interest

• The principle, balance, stuck out to me because of its way to mess with one’s thinking.
  • When I first saw the design on the left, I did not think it was balance because it did not physically look equal like the design next to it.
  • It became clear to me that the weight of the part hanging down evens out the weight of the main area that it holding the light bulb within. Making this object asymmetrical and balanced.

Exercise One: Making Shapes from Shapes

1. Creating Combinations
    • I started this process by creating a template with six 3″ squares on a 11″ x 17″ paper.
    • Then I cut out multiple equilateral squares, circles, and triangles that were put together in different arrangements within the 3″ squares to create combinations of shapes that I could trace the contour from.

2.   Exploring New Shapes

• I overlaid the trace paper to find points that established new shapes from the existing combinations I had already made. I realized that in many of the shapes I had found/created, the principles started to shine through as well.
    • Multiple shapes that I found had the principles emphasis and balance, I realized that I was already using these principles when I was creating the shapes, without even knowing it! (See photo above in “Creating Combinations”)

3. Dynamic & Static Compositions

• I chose two of the new shapes I had made and created a dynamic and static version of each using point, line, & plane.
    • I made these in digital form using Adobe Illustrator and by hand using black card stock, glue and Bristol paper. Each composition was given a descriptive word and principle.
    • Left Side = Digital Composition    Right Side = Physical Compositio

Curvilinear Dynamic

Descriptive Word: Leaning

Principle: Balance

Curvilinear Static

Descriptive Word: Extended

Principle: Emphasis

Geometric Dynamic

Descriptive Word: Sliding

Principle: Movement

Geometric Static

Descriptive Word: Posing

Principle: Harmony

What I learned during this exercise…

• We use and see elements and principles in our everyday lives whether we notice it or not
  • My biggest struggle in making the physical composition was cutting the shapes. The line and point were difficult to cut as they were small and thin. I learned that standing helped get a better grasp on the paper and cutting knife while also using pressure and clean strokes.
  • Spreading tacky glue on the black card stock with a piece of paper helps not push all the glue out from under the shapes. In the exercise, you can see where the glue came out and dried which makes the product look messy.

Iterations

1st Attempt:

• I created this composition using equilateral triangles and circles.
  • I started by thinking about different ways circles can sit on triangles, I realized no matter where I put the circle on triangle, it would always have a unique look to it. So I kept the circle on the side of the top of the triangle.
  • Then I began moving inward, knowing that I wanted to make the composition look balanced, I did the same shapes and size on each side of the main circle.

Group Meeting Feedback: 

• Many classmates stated that it did not look balanced due to the shapes in the middle, located at the top and bottom.
  • They did not seem to fit well within the composition as they were not as confident and sharp compared to the designs on the left and right of the main circle.
  • I saw my composition in a new way after hearing this feedback and realized the top and bottom shapes did not seem to work the greatest, so I brainstormed on what I should implement there instead.

2nd Attempt:

• To make the composition look more balanced, I decided to repeat the shapes on the left and right and use them on the top and bottom as well.
  • This change made the composition become more unified and flow better together.
  • I still wanted the composition to look bold, so I decided the circles connected to the triangles should change.

3rd Attempt:

• I moved the circles on the side of the corner triangles, into the peak of the triangles where the points come together.
  • I see the composition come together after this adjustment as the two “columns” on the left and right, give the feeling of boldness as if it is holding the composition together.

Production:

How I made the physical copy:

1. I measured out the length and width of each shape.
  2. Used the measurements to draw each shape on the black card stock using a ruler and compass.
  3. Once all shapes were drawn, I used the cutting knife to cut out each shape and align them onto the Bristol paper.
  4. After everything was in its place, I used tacky glue on a piece of paper and spread it onto the black card stock to ensure no glue was showing from under the shape.

How I made the digital copy:

1. Using Adobe Illustrator, I created each triangle and circle so that they were equilateral
  2. There are three groups of circles that each have their own height and width and there are two groups of triangles that each have their own height and width. So all shapes are coordinated to be equal and in the same ‘pattern’ within the composition.

My Final Compositions         

Descriptive Word: Aligned

Principle: Balance  

PHYSICAL = POSITIVE COMPOSITION                                 DIGITAL = NEGATIVE COMPOSITION

Reflection

• Throughout this assignment, I learned that not giving up on something because it is confusing or hard to understand, helps me grow and strengthen my learning/understanding of these concepts.
  • At first, I didn’t understand the purpose of this assignment or why we were creating random shapes, but having the practice of drawing out irregular shapes, helped me think bigger when it came to creating my composition. Almost like I retrained my eye to see new things.
  • I still wish that my physical composition was cleaner and not offset, but I do realize that this was a learning experience for myself and I can now use those critiques in my future work.

Link to Portfolio Project: Shape Grammar: Point, Line, Plane