Sophomore Year

Global Awareness

Courses like History of War in the 20th Century and Spanish have shown me the histories and cultures of people from around the world. I have learned what life is/has been like for people of unique backgrounds. Also, my job at University Catering has exposed me to events put on by organizations of various cultures. I get to see a small glimpse into their customs and cultural elements like cuisine. I plan to continue toward this goal by being involved and having an open mind to the diversity of others.

Original Inquiry

I am a part of the Scarlet & Gray Forecasting Team in which we have small meetings throughout each week to create forecasts. Afterward, we can compare our forecasts to what transpires and learn from trial and error to better our hands-on forecasting skills. Also, during the course Global Climate and Environmental Change, I was exposed to researching processes through class presentations and a trip to the Byrd Polar Research Center. Also, Chemistry labs have given me a glimpse into how working in laboratories is like. I plan to further this goal during my summer internship with the Tuscarawas County Emergency Management Agency in which I will be completing projects and getting up-close experience into different possible career options.

Academic Enrichment

My Honors Contract demonstrates a commitment to taking Honors and upper-level courses. My planned curriculum will provide me with the skills necessary to having a career in meteorology. Furthermore, my minor in Geographic Information Science is something that is valued in the meteorology skill. I selected GE courses based on things that interest me. For example, I will be taking a History of Art course because history is something I enjoy, and I have not had any formal teachings on the subject of art history. These selections demonstrate a commitment to excellence because they meet the rigorous requirements of an Honors degree.

Leadership Development

I am involved in the Meteorology Club and the Scarlet & Gray Forecasting Team. Also, I have a job at University Catering. Being involved in organizations and jobs presents opportunities to acquire leadership positions. For example, I was recently elected Social Media Manager of the Scarlet & Gray Forecasting Team. The organizations in which I am involved allow me to interact with people within my major that have similar interests as me. I have gained much knowledge simply from having conversations with people in my major.

Service Engagement

In high school, I was in National Honor Society in which I participated in numerous service projects. For example, a small group of us visited the Tuscarawas County Humane Society to help take care of the cats and dogs. Also, my friend is in Humanities Scholars, and I helped them with their canned food drive. Looking ahead, my summer internship is a volunteer position. I will be able to help my community back home by working on projects with the EMA.