Applications Open for SIL’s Leadership Academy – DUE October 9th
Services for Independent Living – Ohio has opened applications for the Fall/Winter Leadership Academy. The eight-week course is designed to help individuals with disabilities develop skills to participate on nonprofit boards, community coalitions, task forces and system change committees.
The course will be held online from October 26 to December 14, 2020 on Monday afternoons from 1:00 to 4:00 pm . The exact dates are October 26; November 2, 9, 16, 23, 30; December 7, 14.
During the training sessions, participants will develop a basic working knowledge and understanding about topics related to serving on a board, coalition, task force or committee. Training topics include the following:
- Community Leadership
- Disability History & Disability Advocacy
- Functions of a Nonprofit Board
- Government Committees, Nonprofit Committees, Commissions, Task Forces & Councils
- Communications, Confidentiality & Board Ethics
- Networking and Developing Community Contacts
Upon completion of the Leadership Academy, SIL will work with participants to identify areas of interest and potential leadership opportunities in the community. Leadership Academy participants will also be paired with mentors who are Leadership Academy graduates.
Any person with a disability who wants to learn how to make a difference and gain confidence and leadership experience in community decision-making on issues important to him or her.
To apply, please contact Laura Gold for an application by calling 216-815-0015 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is October 9th. Space is limited so we encourage you to apply early. If you need help filling out the application, please let Laura know.
Source: “DD Council Connection – September 2020.” Ohio Developmental Disabilities Council, Sept. 2020, ddc.ohio.gov/News/Newsletters/DD-Council-Connection/DD-Council-Connection-September-2020.
The Center for Disability Empowerment is pleased to offer a Leadership Academy Course made possible through a grant from the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities.
What is the purpose of Leadership Academy?
The purpose of the program is to teach best practices in disability policy and delivery of support for individuals with disabilities; to teach competencies needed to influence public policy at all levels; to facilitate systems change in the disability community; to work toward and achieve a new vision for people with disabilities; to prepare leaders of tomorrow.
Who may participate?
Participants are selected through an application process.
- Residents of Franklin, Delaware, Licking and Union counties
- Parents or Caregivers of young children with disabilities
- Individuals with I/DD
- Preference for individuals who have had no, or minimal, experience with advocacy and leadership opportunity
- Participants must commit to the 8-month program which includes involvement in online meetings, contribution to group discussions and completion of homework.
- Participants must have access to a computer with video capability and internet as well as the support necessary to use the equipment to participate in meetings and to complete homework assignments. (Note: lack of equipment will not be a reason to disqualify individuals. The program will assist in attaining appropriate technology to the greatest extent possible).
Meetings will be held monthly on a Wednesday evening (6:00PM to 8:00PM) and Saturday morning (9:30AM to 12:30PM) in September, October, and November 2020 and in January, February, March, April and May 2021 with graduation in June. All meetings will be held virtually.
September 23/26, 2020
- Intro Meeting
- Parent Movement
- Independent Living Movement
- Self-Advocate Movement
October 21/24, 2020
- Inclusive Education
- Lifelong Learning
November 11/14, 2020
- Service Coordination
- Person-Centered Planning
December 2020 – NO SESSIONS
January 20/23, 2021
- Supported, Competitive and Customized Employment
February 24/27, 2021
- Supported Living
March 24/27, 2021
- Community Organizing, Advocacy, Using Media
- Meeting and Communicating with Public Officials
April 21/24, 2021
- State and Local Government/Legislation
- Federal Government/Legislation
May 19/22, 2021
- Serving on Boards
- Developing a Vision for 2030
June – GRADUATION!
For more information or to request an application, contact either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Leadership Forum application is also available online at www.disabilityempowerment.net
The application deadline is Monday August 31, 2020.