The Center for Disability Empowerment is pleased to offer a Leadership Academy Course made possible through a grant from the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities.
What is the purpose of Leadership Academy?
The purpose of the program is to teach best practices in disability policy and delivery of support for individuals with disabilities; to teach competencies needed to influence public policy at all levels; to facilitate systems change in the disability community; to work toward and achieve a new vision for people with disabilities; to prepare leaders of tomorrow.
Who may participate?
Participants are selected through an application process.
- Residents of Franklin, Delaware, Licking and Union counties
- Parents or Caregivers of young children with disabilities
- Individuals with I/DD
- Preference for individuals who have had no, or minimal, experience with advocacy and leadership opportunity
- Participants must commit to the 8-month program which includes involvement in online meetings, contribution to group discussions and completion of homework.
- Participants must have access to a computer with video capability and internet as well as the support necessary to use the equipment to participate in meetings and to complete homework assignments. (Note: lack of equipment will not be a reason to disqualify individuals. The program will assist in attaining appropriate technology to the greatest extent possible).
Meetings will be held monthly on a Wednesday evening (6:00PM to 8:00PM) and Saturday morning (9:30AM to 12:30PM) in September, October, and November 2020 and in January, February, March, April and May 2021 with graduation in June. All meetings will be held virtually.
September 23/26, 2020
- Intro Meeting
- Parent Movement
- Independent Living Movement
- Self-Advocate Movement
October 21/24, 2020
- Inclusive Education
- Lifelong Learning
November 11/14, 2020
- Service Coordination
- Person-Centered Planning
December 2020 – NO SESSIONS
January 20/23, 2021
- Supported, Competitive and Customized Employment
February 24/27, 2021
- Supported Living
March 24/27, 2021
- Community Organizing, Advocacy, Using Media
- Meeting and Communicating with Public Officials
April 21/24, 2021
- State and Local Government/Legislation
- Federal Government/Legislation
May 19/22, 2021
- Serving on Boards
- Developing a Vision for 2030
June – GRADUATION!
The Leadership Forum application is also available online at www.disabilityempowerment.net
The application deadline is Monday August 31, 2020.