Caregiving flyer for state-wide use
You are invited to join the Caregiver Support Network at The Ohio State University for an important discussion on caregiver burnout, telemedicine, useful gadgets and technology. Learn about caregiver self-care, managing burnout, stress, mental health, connecting with resources and more!
Who should attend:
- Family members caring for an adult or senior with chronic illness or disability
- Adult children concerned about aging parents
- Parents caring for adult children with disabilities
- Long term workers: assisted living facility, adult family home or home care agency staff
- Social service, adult day service or mental health professionals who work with family caregivers
Saturday, February 22 at 1 p.m. (Check-in starts at 12:30 p.m.)
- $10 Individuals • $20 Exhibitor tables (see website for details)
- Akron • Athens • Caldwell • Columbus • Fremont • Lebanon • Ottawa
Laura Akgerman at 614-292-0622 or firstname.lastname@example.org
After focusing on our Facebook page for outreach the past few years, we are going to be turning back to this platform for updates and goings-on for the OSU TOPS Program.
A few updates since our last post in February 2016:
- On May 3rd, the program graduated three students – Natalie, Jamie, and Megan – all of whom have paid community employment! We are so proud of our graduates and wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
- On April 27th, TOPS students and staff collaborated with the Van Buren Shelter on the bi-annual TOPS Day of Service to help prepare their Garden of Hope for the season. Students assisted with mulching, weeding, and planting of fruit bushes. Their hard work was rewarded with a delicious visit to North Market!
- In June, the TOPS program will be welcoming 13 students to campus for the annual Campus Orientation and Transition Assessment (COTA) program. Ten of the young men and women are incoming TOPS students and the program will be their first taste at campus life!
One of my main focuses as the TOPS Academic Coordinator has been to help establish the Academic Center as an openly available resource for students who might need designated time to work on school- or work-related tasks. Over the past year, the Academic Center has moved from a tiny room to our new hub of academic success in McCampbell Hall Room 251, complete with computers, a chalkboard, and other helpful resources. We have also added evening hours for students who may have busy daytime schedules.
One of our most valuable resources available in the Academic Center is our team of volunteer tutors. This semester, with a group of 20+ tutors, there is always someone to help students with tasks such as reading textbooks, prompting ideas for papers or reflections, and getting into the habit of making sure all assignments are completed. Tutors have also helped to practice speeches, assist in making notecards for an upcoming exam, and to help recall information for a class.
There is always something that a student can work on in the Academic Center! For example:
- Practice answering interview questions
- Check the course syllabus to see what events/assignments are coming up
- Review previously read chapters in the textbook to check understanding
- Work on assignments for the SLC courses
- Edit resume
- Plan social events for the TOPS Social Calendar
- Research fun and engaging community service ideas
- Find OSU student clubs and organizations that may be of interest
- AND, it never hurts to get ahead in schoolwork!
I highly encourage students to challenge themselves to complete some of the above activities to make sure that they use their Academic Center time productively! A student can and should take advantage of the tutoring center even if it’s not during a time when he or she is scheduled to be there. I am very proud to see that attendance in the Academic Center has become more and more consistent, which tells me that students are taking charge of their own academic success!
Still not sure when the Academic Center is open? Here is the schedule for your reference:
- MONDAY: 10:00am – 2:30pm; 5:00pm – 8:00pm
- TUESDAY: 10:00am – 2:30pm; 5:00pm – 8:00pm
- WEDNESDAY: 10:00am – 2:30pm
- THURSDAY: 10:00am – 2:30pm
- FRIDAY: 10:00am – 4:00pm
- WEEKEND: closed