Volunteer Spotlight: Mia

As we move into the end of October, we wanted to continue to recognize some of our awesome volunteers! Our Volunteer Spotlight this week is Mia, who has volunteered with TOPS for three semesters now. During her involvement so far, she has served as an academic tutor, an educational coach, and she also attends social events.

Mia first learned about TOPS through a friend. “It was something I really wanted to get involved with because I have an older sister with disabilities, so I try to help wherever I can in the community.” If she could tell prospective volunteers one thing, she would emphasize that it’s “a once in a lifetime experience.”

When asked how TOPS has impacted her, Mia said, “volunteering with TOPS has impacted my life in so many good ways…I know that in the future I will have some of the best hands-on experience in peer-mentoring and assisting others.” Her favorite memory with the program so far has been working in the academic center and “listening to everyone enjoy each other’s company and make new friends.” She has also loved getting to know TOPS students and catching up with them about their classes and activities.

Mia is majoring in neuroscience and plans to continue on to medical school. She is involved in OUAB and Tri Delta. She also works as a lab aide and in a research lab that studies spinal cord injuries. Mia says the best food combination in the world is a Wendy’s frosty with anything – French fries, chicken nuggets, etc.!

We appreciate your enthusiastic attitude and all that you do for TOPS. Thanks, Mia!