The 2018 midterm elections are just around the corner, and early voting has already opened!
Did you know that “the voter turnout rate of people with disabilities was 6 percentage points lower than that of people without disabilities during the 2016 election” (Schur & Kruse)?
Consider exploring the REV UP website before heading to your polling place this November. REV UP “aims to increase the political participation of the disability community while also engaging candidates and the media on disability issues” (REV UP, 2018). The website has countless resources for voters, such as:
- Information on your rights as a voter
- A “candidate questionnaire” to help voters explore where their candidates stand on important issues
- A list of issues that affect the disability community
- Statistics about individuals with disabilities and voting
- Resources for voting specifically in the state of Ohio
- And lots more! (REV UP, 2018)
REV UP: Register, Educate, Vote, Use your Power. Retrieved from https://www.aapd.com/advocacy/voting/
Schur, L. & Kruse, D. Fact sheet: Disability and Voter Turnout in the 2016 Elections. Retrieved from https://smlr.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/documents/PressReleases/kruse_and_schur_-_2016_disability_turnout.pdf