SP19 Service Reflection

The Central Ohio Chapter for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF) recently held a premier event NOSH gala that celebrated achievements within Cystic Fibrosis Research and brought together people who have been affected by or are passionate about helping CFF. The event was held on February 16th, which I attended. Attending this event and helping out would fulfill an international affairs service requirement.

As background, Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease that affects every single organ in one’s body. It makes breathing extremely difficult and even painful for its victims. Often times, people who live with cystic fibrosis live with the risk of catching life-threatening lung infections. These fighters live their lives continuously being aware of any and all ways they could get sick. Those with CFF can’t be closer than six feet from others with CFF. Their food must be prepared in a specific way. Cystic fibrosis is a disease that squirms its way into every facet of one’s life and only give people an average of forty years to live.

By attending and volunteering at the NOSH gala I was able to give back to the CFF community and help make a difference for people fighting Cystic Fibrosis every day. Also, other than helping out the CFF community with my volunteering and gaining a better sense of appreciation for what I have, I also learned a lot from the event. One of the headliner speakers at the gala was Dr. Mitchell Drumm from the Department of Pediatrics and of Genetics and Genome Sciences at Case Western Reserve. Dr. Drumm was part of the team that is accredited for discovering the gene that causes cystic fibrosis. Since the discover, current medicines and treatments have changed and helped cystic fibrosis fighters’ lives. Listening to Drumm talk was a very humbling experience and I learned of a portion of what people who live with CFF face. It also made me realize that I often take simple things, like breathing, for granted. Being able to take a deep breath after struggling, would make anyone feel at peace. Speaking of this experience, I was also able to listen to a CFF patient’s story. For a long time, he’s struggled with CFF, but with new treatments he was able to finally breath fully. At that moment, he said that he broke crying and called his parents. Perhaps at this moment, I felt really glad to have been able to help and volunteer at a great event.

Overall, the gala was a truly inspiring event. I was able to learn so much being at the event. By interacting with the guest, who have done so much to help the foundation of may have been relatives or friends with CF fighters, I was able to see into what their lives may be. I gained a better appreciation for my own life and know do my best to not take things for granted. I have also realized how much of a family the cystic fibrosis community is. CF is a rare disease and its community is just as small. However, the community that supports CF fighters is just as strong and passionate as any other. Altogether, I am glad I attended as was able to volunteer and such an amazing event.