Dynamic Pages:Process

Research
The research I did for this project was to learn about different paper mechanisms and find exactly different ways they are made or where there seen the most. While doing research I found paper mechanisms are not just turning a handle and wheels start turning, but also can be a pull tab, or turning a wheel that is revealing or hiding something. I went to the library and looked at different books with popup mechanisms, or some even opened up and revealed something. It was interesting to see all the different mechanisms made by different people but all have the same concept. I also researched different instrumental music and found what type of music my partner and I wanted to choose for this project whether it was jazz or classical music.

List of song ideas
Activity at the library where we explored many pop-up mechanisms

Exercises/Activities
I created a mechanism and practiced how different types of paper mechanisms. I decided to create a pull tab mechanism and when you pull the tab it looks like the little boy’s mouth is opening and closing. I also made a second one, but in a circular mechanism where you turn the wheel.

Iterations
I had an idea of doing a circular mechanism because my part in the song I choose to do sounds like a repeating line. I sketched mechanisms on the Sketchbook app after consistently listening to my part of the song. I wanted my mechanism to reveal and hide something but also show a disruption. The first one I made is a circle mechanism with a section cut out so when you turn it behind each spot is something different. Another one I made was a rectangular mechanism but when you turn the wheel each half has a different picture on it and the border around it hides the pictures. The final mechanism I made is a circle hiding within a circle, when you turn the tab it’s revealing or hiding depending on the way you turn it.

Revealing circle mechanism
Wheel turning mechanism

Iterations on the sketchbook app
Sketch of circle hiding within a circle

Concept Statement

My concept for this project was to create a circular rotating mechanism out of paper using two different colors. The elements and principles that are being used are contrast and movement. The contrast is shown through color and the size of the shapes that are being shown when using the mechanism. Movement is being shown when using the mechanism and the use of shape and size are showing movement also. Using the song I chose the beginning part of the song that conveys a continuous motion and sounds like a repeating part of the song, which is what I wanted my mechanism connects to when rotating it. Disruption is something I wanted to show abstractly using shapes and one shape being different from the rest. The idea is to have a mechanism that reveals and hides using shape, size, and color.

Production

In my final production, we chose to do the theme song Pink Panther, and my part of the song is the beginning where it repeats the same beat or tone. I chose to do the circular mechanism where the circle is hiding within another circle. I decided to use that mechanism because it’s easy to see my concept and what I was trying to do. I decided to use black and pink for the colors because when the mechanism reveals that hiding circle I want it to be a surprise color that is a big contrast of color between the bigger circle. When the circle is revealed it is also revealing circles going small to big and a square at the end showing that disruption at the end. I used a string so it can easily be pulled to reveal and hide that pink circle.

GIF of Final 

Final Project with music

Link to Portfolio Project: Dynamic Pages