Sketchbook:Process

Research

• The research I did was find videos and tutorials on how to make a sketchbook from scratch. I found different methods of making sketchbooks, and many ways to bind my sketchbook together. I found Japanese binding to be interesting with the different designs you can create on the outside with the different color strings.  I also searched on the internet for unique sketchbooks, and one I found interesting was books with a little lock on them or a magnetic button to keep it close but not to lock it. I also learned what mind mapping was and different methods of mind mapping and ways we could show it in our sketchbooks.
  • How to Install Magnetic Strap
  • DIY SKETCHBOOKS – No Stitching & No Stapler

• DIY Single Sheet Bookbinding Tutorial | Sea Lemon

• How To Double Loop Lace On Leather

• Exercises/Activities
      I  created different mini sketchbooks and tried folding them in different ways just to get an idea of how I wanted my sketchbook to open whether it opens up and down or opens like a book. I created my mini sketchbooks out of lined notebook paper and the other one out of bristol paper to create a sturdier notebook with thicker paper.  I also created a mind map in my mini sketchbook. My main topic was my favorites, and I took that and branched off each of my ideas with things like favorite drinks, favorite songs, and favorite food. Creating a mind map in my sketchbook was a little difficult because I wanted to create mini pictures to go with some of the words in my mind map but because of how mini my sketchbook was there was so little room to fit anything.
  • Iterations
    The way I explored to get to my final product, is by creating a list of things I don’t like about sketchbooks which was how they don’t lay flat or the spiral gets in the way when sketching. I created another list of things I want or wish my sketchbook has like the ability to lay flat, different kinds of paper, and also a bookmaker to know where I left off in my sketchbook. I created a prototype of my sketchbook. I took the cardboard-like brown paper to represent the front and back cover as leather. I created a bookmaker out of rope string, and also took the same string and made it to where if you tie it together it closes the book and holds everything together. On the inside of the book, I created a pocket on the back cover to hold scrap paper. Lastly, for my prototype sketchbook, I tried the Japanese binding method using a sewing needle and thread to see how flat the pages would lay and to see how the design would come out.

Sketchbook prototype
List of my dislikes of a sketchbook and a wish and want list for my sketchbook
  • Production
     In my final production, I used Cricut leather on the inside and outside of the front and back cover. I created my front cover design in the Cricut design space and used iron-on glitter vinyl to make the design. In the bottom corner of the front cover, I used the laser cutter to etch my last name and first initial, and I also used the laser cutter for the wording on the back cover. I bought a magnetic button and attached one side to a leather strap and the other side to the front cover to close the book. I used the laser cutter and Cricut machine to cut out my different kinds of paper. The different kinds of paper I used were Cricut acetate paper, drawing paper, bristol paper, and colored cardstock paper. I made a bookmark from leather string and attached a butterfly charm at the end to match the front cover of my sketchbook. Lastly, for the binding method, I wanted to use leather string to go with the whole leather aesthetic, so the Japanese binding didn’t work well because of how thick the leather string was. I came up with an alternative of doing the binder rings method so the book can lay flat.

Link to Portfolio Project: Sketchbook