2D to 3D Translation: Process

Research
The research I did for this project was to learn about orthographic drawing, and I learned how to draw the 2D orthographic projection. Since I picked illusion as my option, I went on the internet to find pictures of different illusions I could draw in my 3D form for research.

• Exercises/Activities
      The first exercise I did was to draw out a template to create a 3D cube. In the exercise, I created at least three templates to try and create the perfect cube. The next exercise is orthographic drawing and creation. In this exercise, we were given a template to redraw and try to create the 3D shape which was the letter F, before actually creating the shape we learned how to draw the different perspectives when looking at a 3D shape or form.

“Perfect cube”
      Orthographic F

• Iterations
       I explored different forms by using one of the shapes I found to be interesting in assignment 2, 2D composition explorations. I started by taking my shape while in 2D form and started trying to draw the net to create it in a 3D shape, but it didn’t work because you were able to see through the shape. I started taking construction paper and started to build off of my shape and create 3D forms. I made three forms in different ways to can create one whole form. After deciding which form to create a template for I started taking it apart while the pieces were taped together to try and find the net of the form I created. I started drawing out the net digitally and tried to figure out measurements, then I drew it by hand, and cut it out, to figure out what needed to adjust. After a lot of adjustments to measurements and changing the placement of shapes created my final template.

2D form
      1st 3D iteration
      2nd 3D iteration
      3rd 3D iteration

1. Concept Statement
    My concept for this project was to take a 2D form and create a 3D form using the same shape. I wanted to take this unordinary shape and use basic shapes like triangles and rectangles and create a new form using the same 2D shape on the bottom.

A net of my 3D form

2. Production
    The final part of this assignment for the original form I built off my 2D shape with construction paper. After choosing between three forms, I chose my first form and created a template from that shape. After finding the right measurements I started to create more and more forms until I found the two forms I felt were the best. I made one form be the original 3D shape (all white)  then I took the other one and create an illusion onto the form.

Comparing

When comparing my two forms they are both the same shape but have something different to them. I choose to change my form by creating an illusion on the entire front of my form. I made the illusion by making it seem as if there was a ball coming out using straight and curved lines also with the colors black and white.

3D illusion form
Original form

Net for final form digitally

Link to Portfolio Project
2D to 3D Translations