Shape Grammar: Process

Research
The research I did for this project is finding pictures that have shapes that create a picture or shapes that create other shapes. Other research I did was learning about static and dynamic, and the elements and principles of design to create my final project.

Exercises/Activities*
Some exercises and activities I did for this project are cutting out three different shapes and using those to create an entirely different shape on tracing paper. I took triangles and layered them on top of each other to create a different shape, and did the same with squares and circles. I  created different shapes using point, line, and shape. Using the terms static and dynamic I created four different shapes that show static or dynamic while also using a point and line.

Shapes I used to show static and balance
Use of basic shapes to find new shapes
1st simplified version

Iterations
 I created my ideas on the app Adobe Illustrator looking at my first idea compared to my final project, I did a lot of simplifying. My description statement was falling and my principle was balance, but after taking out many shapes and creating an entirely new idea it changed to trapped and movement for the final project.

The first iteration uses multiple squares and triangles

Production
In my final production, I  used squares and circles. The description word I used was trapped because in the picture it looks as if the circles are trapped between the squares.  The element was movement because looking at the picture the circles take your eye in a circular direction and the squares take your eyes in a downward crossing position. My achievement for my finished product was creating something simple that tricks the eye when looking at the picture.

Concept Statement

My concept for this project was to create something simple that used movement and the description trapped and make it so it can trick your eyes when looking at it. I wanted people to be confused when they looked at the picture and couldn’t tell if it was black squares with white circles or white squares with black circles.

View detailed project post at Shape Grammar: Project