Quarantine Projects: Learning to Sew

Thrift Flip

During the months of March-August, I had a lot of free time on my hands due to COVID-19 and I decided to explore some new passions. One of these included sewing and fashion design. Luckily for me, my mom had a sewing machine that I could use and being home meant that she could help me learn how to use it. My mom used to sew curtains and some basic clothes when I was younger, so she’s pretty well experienced with sewing. Sewing with my mom ended up bringing us together during the time I was home and I also found that I, too, became really passionate for sewing and fashion. I almost wish I had majored in fashion and pursued sewing and design earlier. However, I figured it’s not too late to start and I now use my spare time to get better and make new creations. The link above “Thrift Flip” is a TikTok I made demonstrating how I took an old, vintage dress shirt and turned it into a trendy two-piece outfit. In addition, the two pictures above are from a current project I’m working on that I decided to call “Modern Day Dorothy”. The idea behind this project is that the blue, gingham pattern reminded me of the pattern of Dorothy’s dress in The Wizard of Oz. Except, instead of making a dress, I am making a two-piece pants and shirt outfit using the pattern. I thought that my design would be something that Dorothy would currently wear had the film been made today.

I can’t wait to continue this new passion of mine and hope that it’s something I can continue to enjoy and maybe even do full-time one day!