Moving on

For the past several years, I have had the great pleasure of being the principal undergraduate advisor and Director of Undergraduate Studies for the Department of Astronomy.  It has been a joy to work with all of you and your predecessors in the Astronomy and Astrophysics major.

But now it is time for me to move on.  During the next few months, I will be stepping down from my position in order to devote more time to my teaching and my research.  I do not view these activities as more important than advising, but as other ways I can continue to serve you as you grow and advance in the sciences.  The leadership in the Astronomy Department has fully supported me in this decision, and are strongly committed to maintaining a vigorous and welcoming program in the years ahead.

During this time, the Department will be making many changes to the undergraduate advising.  There will be a new Director of Undergraduate Studies and an expanded Undergraduate Studies Committee, and the new people will undoubtedly bring a number of fresh ideas for what the major will be like in the years ahead.  Together with the Department of Physics we will be hiring a staff advisor, and this will result in increased services in recruitment, enrollment, degree planning, and career advice.  Please continue to follow this blog for updates on these and other changes, and for information about the services we will offer as the new academic year begins.

I write this with gratitude for how you have shared with me your successes and struggles, your ambitions and plans, and above all your excitement about the Universe.  I hope that I have been able to contribute in a small way to your time here at Ohio State, and I want all of you to know that I’d be delighted to hear from you any time if you need anything or if you want simply to chat and share what’s going on.

2 thoughts on “Moving on

1. Thank you for everything you have done for us undergrads.
    You listened to our struggles and gave assurances that everything would work out.
    You tasked us with prioritizing self care when we were overwhelmed with messages about our need to work hard and succeed at any cost.
    You gave us a place to shine when there wasn’t one.
    You sacrificed time for us – academia’s most valuable resource – instead of prioritizing your own research desires.
    You recognized the importance of sharing your skills with the new generation of eager astronomers.
    You taught us how to analyze, interpret, persist, and when was a good time to step back and take a breath.
    All of these things you did at the expense of your own time, your own work.
    And you did these with good humor and kindness, a friendly interaction behind an open door for anyone eager to try to find their place in the field of Astronomy.
    Thank you for your work, your encouragement, your candor, and for your support.
    We are happy that you have made the decision to prioritize your own work and to take a well earned break from the undergrad advising role.
    We will miss you, but we will never forget all of the things you have done for us over the years.
    Thank you for everything, Dr. Terndrup!