Accruing Debt in the Name of Justice

Langdell Hall, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA

January 16th, I spent the evening learning about what life is like attending law school at an ivy league through the event A Day in the Life of A Harvard Law Student. This met the professional development requirement at Hagerty Hall and provided me with a lot of insight into what to expect academically and socially in law school. Law school is never considered as something light, it’s a heavy commitment with lots of intensive work, but the steps to get there aren’t quite as solid as those that I’ve heard to move on to specific graduate schools or medical school. I was surprised to hear how important social aspects are when it comes to law school, but I suppose that it’s truly just the next level of networking from undergraduate. It’s quite exciting to hear the reality of law school once you’re actually there… the fact that people within your class will be senators, judges, possibly even president. The most fascinating thing that I heard at this event was how law school was akin to learning a language as opposed to any other form of material being taught. I love learning languages and while the coursework for the first year of law school is much different than that of a language course, it’s exciting to hear the pacing compared to something that I’m familiarizing myself greatly with throughout my undergraduate years. Beyond the outright education in law school, I’m excited to hear of how it takes something as inaccessible as American law and makes it possible to understand. Law is presented as something to apply to all citizens of a nation, yet the great majority of citizens, even including those within public service, lack a complete understanding of even the most basic laws. I hope that the intensive classes that the speaker described falling asleep in will allow me to gather enough understanding of the law to make strides in either making the multitude of provisions more accessible to citizens outside of the field of law or to allow for it to be applied in such a way so that its inaccessibility doesn’t create pitfalls for citizens.