Dr Pepper Snapple Group (Plano, TX)– Research and Development Intern, June-August 2012
Flavor Technology and Sensory Teams
- Assessed chemical components of various fruit flavors using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, and compounded flavors under the direction of a certified flavorist.
- Evaluated consumer emotional responses to variations of a fruit-flavored soft drink, including interpretation of statistical outcomes.
- Observed and utilized a trained sensory panel for qualitative descriptive analysis of multiple beverages.
- Initiated two independent product development projects
Heinz North America (Pittsburgh, PA)– Research and Development Intern, June-August 2011
Retail and Foodservice Condiments and Sauces
- Assessed viscosity, flavor attributes, and flavor development of 17 mustard seeds, brans, and flours. Utilized SIFT-MS for volatile organic compound analysis, Brookfield, and Flow-cam.
- Researched and tested 12 clean label antioxidants for use in emulsions to delay oxidation throughout product shelf life.
- Evaluated sodium reduction in Heinz Chili Sauce to meet NYC guidelines. Proposed formula optimization with estimated savings of $200K. Challenged microstability and flavor attributes of new recipes.
- Maintained relationships with ingredient suppliers in order to obtain samples and relevant ingredient information.
The Wornick Company (Cincinnati, OH)– Research and Development Intern, August-September and December 2010
- Interpreted and processed over 250 supplier product specifications
- Assisted with laboratory and retort trial work as needed