Badge #2 Assessment: Formative and Summative

1. Student led lesson for Video in Education: In the student led lesson, Lin and I planned a pre- assessmentassessment activity to see where and how students were using videos in their profession. This gave us a good indication of what level of expertise our classmates were at and how to plan the lesson.
  2. As the lesson progressed, we asked students to review questions from assigned readings about video use in education outside of class. This gave the class a good opportunity to review facts and brainstorm about deeper meaning of content in individual settings.
  3. Summative assessment was at the end for students to reflect on things that they did not know and had learned in the lesson. Time limited this part of the lesson; I wish we could have had more discussion on this part.
  4. The final summative aspect of the unit, was a wrap up activity to share resources that they read about or already had used for video making or video resources for a reference and review.

Reflection on Assessment: I think the pre-assessment could have had more than one question for the students to answer to test for deeper understanding. I was happy with the discussion groups’ insight brainstorming. I think there should have been more opportunity to review at the end in a technology, game or other interesting manner.

Micro-teaching:  Youmna and I devised a short assessment to find out if the class had heard of ARIS before the lesson.  We also asked the students to give a brief description of the app.

Summative assessment for this lesson was in the form of Bloom’s Taxonomy’s highest level of creating/designing a sample quest for their field of interest.  Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 11.55.06 AM