Explore Columbus: Condados Con Mis Amigas

For my autumn semester Explore Columbus event, my goal was to take my two awesome mentees, Hannah and Katie, to experience Condado Tacos restaurant in the Short North. Condado Tacos is a build-your-own taco restaurant in an energetic environment. Being from Cleveland, there is a similar restaurant called Barrio Tacos. Interestingly enough, when I did some research I discovered that Barrio has recently sued Condado for misappropriation of trade secrets such as the identical “Day of the Dead” theme, food, and checklist menu style. Beyond these legal differences, I enjoy going to both restaurants because their food is delicious and the atmosphere is great with a group of friends, so I knew it would be a perfect destination for this event.

Prior to going, I asked if Hannah and Katie had ever gone to Condado. Hannah had been to both the Columbus and Cincinnati location of Condado whereas Katie had never been to Condado’s but had gone to Barrio’s before. We began by taking a central Ohio transit authority (COTA) down High Street. COTA is a great way to get around and explore Columbus at all times of the year. If you have the Google Maps application on your phone, you can actually track the estimated arrival times of each of the COTA buses at each bus stop. In an eco-friendly sense, public transportation like COTA is a great way to reduce emissions that lead to climate change, a pressing issue that we face as society.

Another ACES mentor and my friend, Emily, joined us as she was also doing her Explore Columbus. We took the 2 COTA from the Bowen House stop to the bus stop location outside of the Moritz College of Law. We met our mentees in the lobby of Smith Steeb, and we hopped back onto the COTA and got off the stop near Condado. Surprisingly, both of mentees had never ridden the COTA, so I was really happy that I could introduce them to a resource that they can utilize throughout the next four years.

When we arrived at Condado, the six of us got a table and we all split queso, guac, and chips. Both Katie and I got tacos while Hannah got a taco bowl. I’m getting hungry as I write. We had a lot of great discussion specifically I followed up with my mentees on a lot of topics we discussed in our interview and what their life is like later in the semester.

Both Hannah and Katie are enjoying their first semester. Hannah is involved in two specific organizations, enjoys her classes, and loves living on south campus. With Best Buddies, Hannah participates in an one-on-one friendship with an individual with an intellectual or developmental disability, and loves her buddy pair! I asked what her class schedule be like next semester. She will be participating in the FEEP education program that will further her Special Education major, but she is not looking forward to waking up at seven am for four of the five class days. She is also considering a minor in something in Health Sciences (but not certain) to help pursue her career.

Katie, my cute mentee, has learned a lot about herself in her first semester in college. She is involved in Smiles with Style, a program through Ronald McDonald that gives kids with chronic diseases makeovers with eyeshadow, temporary tattoos, and dress up outfits like tutus and tiaras. She enjoys talking to the kids and adding a positive outlook to their day. Also, Katie is super in shape because she works out with CHAARG, an organization that ignites health and fitness within college-aged women. Each week she meets with her small group to do cardio style workouts, and she has the opportunity to attend a specialty event at a local studio to exercise in a kickbox, yoga, or other fitness format.

At the beginning of the semester Katie was unconfident in her major, and she questioned if she was going down the right career pathway. However, she visited an advisor and Katie is now confident in her Public Affairs major. She mentioned she hopes to declare a Communications minor, which excites me as Communications major. I believe her level of confidence in her decisions will allow her to enjoy her classes more and not worry as much. Lately, Katie worked at the Calling Center where she would call alumni for donations. She worked there for two weeks before quitting. We joked about the matter because her coworkers were a little boring and it was a demanding job to make sales. Lastly, Katie is excited about her semester in the spring.

They have both had wonderful semesters, and I can tell they have grown a lot with all of their experiences since the first day here at Ohio State. We said next semester we would go thrift shopping in the Short North or go back to awesome Condado, and overall I’m extremely happy to have this opportunity to show them aspects and resources of Columbus. With all of us not from Columbus, it’s great to explore a new city and home together. I’m excited to follow up with them after break and throughout next semester to continue to witness their growth as people and strengthen our new friendships!