Reflection Paper Week 2: Future “Professional Self”

With regard to my future “professional self,” I ideally want to be better at time management, and I want to become a Certified Public Accountant working as a manager for a big-four accounting firm.  I can break down my “professional self” goals into academic, workplace and professional skills categories.  Studying for and passing the Certified Public Accounting Exam is an academic goal.  Working for a big-four accounting firm and becoming a manager would be a workplace goal, and becoming better at time management would be a professional skills goal.  I am intrinsically motivated to better at time management, and I am extrinsically motivated by the cash bonus I would receive for passing the CPA exam and by the yearly salary amount for a manager.  With respect to challenges, the Certified Public Accounting Exam is a difficult four-part exam taken on the computer, which requires months of self-studying using an online review course and textbook.  Self-motivation will also pose as a challenge.  Passing the exam and trying to advance to manager will require a lot of self-motivation.

I plan to overcome these challenges by setting S.M.A.R.T. learning goals for myself.  I will set short-term and long-term goals to stay motivated and on track.  For instance, I will study six to eight weeks for each of the four parts of the CPA test.  Before I start studying, I will make a day-by-day schedule of what sections in the online course material and book I need to study.  This schedule will help me to improve my time management skills and help me to be prepared to take and pass the CPA exam.  Another learning goal I can set is related to my workplace category.  I can set a short-term goal to maintain a high GPA my last semester, so I can accept my job offer from PwC, one of the big-four accounting firms.  I can set a long-term goal to advance to a new employment level every three years, until I reach manager.  My objective for these goals would be to maintain my self-motivation and improve my time management skills by planning out my day-to-day study requirements and responsibilities.

Before this class, I thought I was a “self-regulated learner.”  I keep up with my assignments and plan ahead (Pintrich, 3).  Based on my responses to the Week 2 Survey, my perception of myself were fairly accurate, I do plan ahead for my courses and I keep up with my work.  However, the survey made me realize that I sometimes doubt my abilities and rely too heavily on memorizing material, instead of actually learning it.  I will make changes in my learning practices so that I can become my best professional self by having confidence in my abilities when I work and study hard.  I will also utilize other learning techniques instead of memorization, such as comparing and contrasting different concepts or taking my own notes on course readings.

Work Cited

Pintrich, P. (1995). Understanding Self-Regulated Learning. In New Directions in Teaching and Learning. Vol 63. (pp. 3-12). Jossey-Bass Pub.