Student Spotlight: Sravya Patibandla

Hometown: Powell, Ohio
Major: Environment, Economy, Development and Sustainability (EEDS)
Favorite SUSTAINS Events: Maple Tree Sugaring Tour

Hi! My name is Sravya Patibandla and I am a first-year Environment, Economy, Development and Sustainability major specializing in Business and Sustainability. I joined SUSTAINS because I wanted to find a community of people who cared about protecting the environment as much as I do, and I wanted to get involved with promoting sustainability on campus.

I can say, without a doubt, that SUSTAINS has helped me find a group of people with similar interests to mine and has given me opportunities to get involved in making OSU’s campus more sustainable. Although we all share a passion for sustainability, SUSTAINS represents a wide variety of majors, from engineering to business to public health. Because of this, the learning community brings in professionals from a variety of career fields, giving us the unique opportunity to learn how sustainability can be applied in a variety of industries and careers.

My favorite SUSTAINS event so far has been the maple tree sugaring tour. We went to the Stratford Ecological Center, learned how maple syrup is made, and even got to try some fresh maple syrup! While we were there, we got to see lambs that were only a week old and try herbs straight from the garden!

Sludging around in mud while wearing rainboots that aren’t mine, surrounded by my friends, is what I think of when I think of SUSTAINS. Being a part of this learning community has given me opportunities and experiences I wouldn’t have had otherwise. From traveling to Washington, DC to helping create a community garden, being in SUSTAINS offers so many opportunities and I would recommend applying to anyone looking to find their niche within The Ohio State University.