Student Spotlight: Maggie Borders

Hometown: Dublin, OhioMaggie
Majors: Environmental Science and German
Favorite LC Event: Baltimore/DC Trip

Hey friends! My name is Maggie Borders and I am a second year student studying Environmental Science and German from Dublin, Ohio. I am also currently an RA for SUSTAINS, and I could not love it more.

I am not one of those people who has always known what their major would be or who had a plan for their life—I go with the flow, and, as such, I had only a vague idea of my major before I came to OSU. However, I have always been interested in the environment, and it wasn’t long before someone in SENR told me about the opportunity to join a brand new, sustainability-focused learning community on campus called SUSTAINS. I’m all about new and interesting opportunities, and it wasn’t hard to make the decision to participate in a community that was brand new and aligned with my environmental sensibilities.

Being in my second year as a member of the community, I can reflect back on the past 3.5 semesters and confidently say that SUSTAINS has done more for me and my college experience than I could’ve ever imagined it would when I applied. When I think about SUSTAINS, I immediately think of all the amazing opportunities offered to me through my involvement in the program by the absolutely exceptional advisors of the LC. My favorite event to date has to be the trip we took to Washington, D.C. over fall break. Friends, I cannot adequately express to you how much fun I had or how lucky I felt to have gone on this trip.  We talked to so many successful and influential people in the short time we were there, but we still had the option to experience what we wanted to in D.C. I had an incredible time, and that trip truly epitomized both the learning as well as the community aspects of SUSTAINS—I can’t imagine a better way to spend fall break than to hang out with your friends and learn about the stuff that really interests you (and you don’t have to take a midterm on it later J).

Really, SUSTAINS is one of those really cool opportunities that I’m sad not everyone has a chance to be a part of. Every staff member involved in the community works incredibly hard to make the LC as successful and meaningful as possible, and you meet so many people who are invaluable to your education, career, and social life at Ohio State. It has been the most influential part of my experience at OSU, and I hope that I get to share such an incredible opportunity with many more students to come!