CFAES has big plans for its Waterman Agricultural and Natural Resources Laboratory in Columbus. Dean Cathann A. Kress says those plans include becoming “a university hub for leading science and public engagement related to our food system, agriculture, and natural resources; as well as a center where many of our partners can join us to advance knowledge and industry, communicate about science, and prepare future leaders.” Read all about it.
Go west, everyone, to learn more about sustainability. Ohio State’s West Campus Science and Sustainability Festival—or WestFest for short—is set for Saturday, May 18, on the university’s West Campus Quad. Featured will be demonstrations and displays by more than 20 sustainability-related organizations from Ohio State and the Columbus community, including CFAES’ Wilma H. Schiermeier Olentangy River Wetland Research Park and Stone Laboratory on Lake Erie. Admission is free. Find out more.
Ohio State’s Time for Change Week ends with a working weekend aimed at doing good things for the land, for native plants, and for a special Ohio State woods.
Ohio State’s 2019 Time for Change Week continues on Friday, April 5, with:
- A presentation on community gardens, including how to run them and how they can improve a neighborhood’s food security, by members of the student group Nourish International, 11 a.m. to noon. Find out more.
- Buckeye Blackout Concert, 6–9 p.m. “Lights out, get loud!” the event listing says. “Join us for a night of student and local bands, friends, and sustainable giveaways, all against the backdrop of Mirror Lake.”
Glean further details.
Here’s what’s scheduled for Thursday, April 4, during Ohio State’s Time for Change Week:
- Buckeye Precious Plastic demo, 2–4 p.m.
- Cup and Cloth (sustainable menstrual products), 4–5:30 p.m.
- B Corps Summit (certified B Corporations must meet certain social and environmental standards), 6–8 p.m.
- Chopped for Change (vegetarian cooking competition), 6–8 p.m.
Find further details.
Ohio State students talk about what sustainability means to them, and about the university’s Time for Change Week, April 1–7, in the video above. Watch.
Here’s what’s in store on Tuesday, April 2, during Ohio State’s Time for Change Week in Columbus:
- Women in Sustainability Breakfast, 7:30–9:30 a.m. (RSVP required)
- Expert Panel on Global Sustainability, 6–7 p.m.
- Beyond Biodiversity: Unearthing the Roots of Sustainable Farming, 7–8 p.m.
- Lens on the Border, 7–8:30 p.m.
Click the links for details.